Any manuka honey users?

bearmom

Anyone use manuka for C-diff, h pylori, staph, MRSA, inflammation, SIBO, strep or anything??

Much of what I've read about it sounds like things we take probiotics for, or are wary of anyway, and I was wondering if anyone here was using it.

On a recent trip to Australia, I didn't bring any probiotics, as skipping them for several weeks isn't usually a problem. I think I get a stable enough population of them in my gut after taking them for so long that a break isn't usually a big deal. I overlooked the fact I'd recently had a procedure on my back that required antibiotics, so gut flora had been mostly wiped out, and it was a stupid time to not do probiotics.

Anyway, finding supplements in Au was harder, and I did find and try some manuka honey, which I'd read a little bit about (real stuff only from New Zealand) so I figured it was a good time to try it. I'm only using a tsp at night in tea, but am liking it so far, but certified stuff is expensive, so wondering if there are any other users, and where you are ordering it from.

Also, any folks that regularly use antibiotics to keep gas at bay regardless of diet (which I think is a really bad plan, but know of few who do it) you may want to look into manuka instead of a "maintenance" dose of flagyl.

So anyone using it, or has in the past?

I do like local honey (in part to support local business, and also when I actually know the keepers and trust that it's organic), but manuka honey can have much more methylglyoxal (MG). MG is a compound found in most types of honey, but usually only in small quantities.

In manuka honey, MG comes from the conversion of another compound -- dihydroxyacetone -- that is found in high concentration in the nectar of manuka flowers, which I think are tea trees. The MG seems to be a more potent dietary antibacterial.

I'm wanting to try it for longer than my 2 jars will last, but the real stuff is pricey, and it may be cheaper for me to just go to NZ or AU every year and fill my suitcase with jars of honey. Well, I'm freezing right now, so I may just be looking for and excuse.

I should start a manuka honey export business!
I was going to look at reddit or wherever for any posters that would ship manuka here, in exchange for something shipped back from here that was hard for them to get.

Lol, I was also looking into a TimTam pipeline as well, and see them for the first time TODAY here.

never heard of it but it's interesting. we have patients at work with C diff frequently - when I find them eating a yoplait I always think it's like throwing a cup of water at a forest fire, you know?

I should start a manuka honey export business!

for real!!

ETA - I see they have it on amazon

never heard of it but it's interesting. we have patients at work with C diff frequently - when I find them eating a yoplait I always think it's like throwing a cup of water at a forest fire, you know?

for real!!

ETA - I see they have it on amazon
They do, but it looks pricier than off the shelf in au, but I may go ahead and order more anyway.

I make yogurt with a strain of probiotic that supposedly helps resist c-diff, but know that isn't reasonable in that setting.

Latest posts

Back