Another question regarding mesh hernia repair and revision

Taniesa

I am reading over my post op report from stanford and They repaired two hernias that I had from childbirth along my appendectomy scar line... I thought that I read somewhere that if you have any mesh repair you cannot have revision surgery to ds. Is this true?

It might or might make the revision more difficult depending on where the mesh is located and how large a piece of mesh was needed. Best to get your operative report from this surgery as your revision surgeon will want/need this information. You can request this either from the surgeon or from the hospital where the surgery was done. You will need to sign a release of information form, but these are your records and you are legally entitled to them. There might be a small copying fee but it shouldn't be excessive.
Bottom line, though, this does NOT mean a revision can't be done.

@Taniesa I'm in the same boat. I had a hernia repaired with mesh in 2004. Dr. Greenbaum has my op notes from that surgery and he hasn't told me no yet. He wants to see the upper GI to see how things move. So it was good to know that he didn't say no yet regarding the mesh. Good luck. :)

Latest posts

Back