Adjusting MFP with DS Math

I'm not very good at keeping anything in my head (I blame it on fibro-fog). I'm also really good at losing pieces of paper. Recording what I eat has made me very aware that I wasn't getting nearly enough protein in, even though that was virtually all I was eating! I thought I was getting in plenty. Even with recording my food, I'm struggling with my protein intake. I feel like I'm having to stuff myself to even get the 60 g of protein in that I should be having at this stage. It's hard to imagine how I'm going to be able to get 90-120 g of protein in!

Apart from all that, I find it very useful and motivating to record/have a record of my food intake, weight loss, etc. the only times I've been successful with dieting in the past, is when I've kept a record of what I've eaten. I'm sure the time will come when it is no longer necessary, but for me, that time isn't now.

I'm right there with you on losing pieces of paper. I carry one little notebook in my purse where anything that needs remembering gets recorded. If it doesn't get written down, it didn't happen.

Yeah I use MFP religiously. It's a habit as after my sleeve I HAD to keep track or I did not lose, or even gained. Now, I still keep track but I have my goals set for me. My cals max out at 2500 (I have yet to get that high but they are there if I need them) my carbs are set to 5%, protein to 25 or 30 can't recall, and the rest is for fat. I don't bother with DS math or any of that crazy making OCD stuff. I accept that if I keep carbs low, protein high and fat even higher my body will do the math for me so my brain doesn't explode :)

Ah, good point. I'm one of the last Americans to have a dumb phone :). (Next replacement will have to go to a smart one, and I'm sure I'll love it once I do it, but I'm complaining all the way.)

I fought giving up my Blackberry. I love my new iPhone 5 though! I am 47, didn't want to learn a new phone right now. I love it and I can do lots of neat tricks with it now too!

Yeah I use MFP religiously. It's a habit as after my sleeve I HAD to keep track or I did not lose, or even gained. Now, I still keep track but I have my goals set for me. My cals max out at 2500 (I have yet to get that high but they are there if I need them) my carbs are set to 5%, protein to 25 or 30 can't recall, and the rest is for fat. I don't bother with DS math or any of that crazy making OCD stuff. I accept that if I keep carbs low, protein high and fat even higher my body will do the math for me so my brain doesn't explode :)

Yep, that is pretty much what I do too!

Okay, found it BUT take it with a BIG grain of salt. I tried it myself and it just does NOT match up with doing the numbers manually!

And the post is slightly off...the study actually said *0% but that was a small study and does NOT take into account common channel length, personal metabolism, etc.

For more on that, see this post: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/ds-math.735/
I am really stupid when it comes to math and I know what you posted may be simple to others but I really have a hard time wrapping my head around this and I am in great need of HELP... I am gaining weight back like crazy and I barely eat anything plus I exercise and it is to the point that it makes me sick to think about eating even when I am hungry and I begin to eat I get sick to my stomach thinking about it.. I need help bad from someone who doesn't care to answer my stupid questions...

I am really stupid when it comes to math and I know what you posted may be simple to others but I really have a hard time wrapping my head around this and I am in great need of HELP... I am gaining weight back like crazy and I barely eat anything plus I exercise and it is to the point that it makes me sick to think about eating even when I am hungry and I begin to eat I get sick to my stomach thinking about it.. I need help bad from someone who doesn't care to answer my stupid questions...
If you have a Ds, you need to do something very simple:

1. If it grew under the ground, is a grain or a fruit (as in the part of a plant that contains the seed), don't eat it.

2. If it has sugar, honey, syrup or any other version of same in it, don't eat it.

This means that you eat:meat, fish, fowl, eggs, real full fat cheese, leaves, stems, nuts and seeds. Oh, and fats and oils. In that regard, you can have twofruits withabandon, olives and avocados. The End.

You wanted it simple. There it is. Follow that and increase your activity level and you will lose weight.

@ALSmith. Glad you came in.

Okay, the ONLY figure on DS Math that has ANY study behind it to support it is the fat absorption and it was a tiny study. The rest is conjecture. BUT it iss a place to start.

I know you are confused...Boyce's nuts do NOT help matters. But read what @Elizabeth N. posted. She is a long term vet who has lived this life for a long time.

1) Fat is your friend now, not your enemy in spite of what the nuts try to tell you.
2) If the calories on MFP is making you nuts, stop tracking on MFP and just write down the total amount of protein grams, fat grams, fluid and then if you have room left to eat, the carbs.
3) Count all your protein grams...just make sure you get over 100 grams every day. Count your fat grams...those need to be based on YOU. IF you are constipated, add more fat, if you have dry skin/hair, add fat. ONLY decrease your fat IF IT gives you the shits.
4) Stay away from most carbs. The carbs in milk, yogurt, sour cream are carbs you can have. They are close to the animal.

Liz

You are going to have to totally throw away every bit of brainwashing from NUTS and every other diet method. I sound brusque but that is not my intention. If you make your diet as streamlined as I posted above, you will lose weight and feel better.

Don't overanalyze. Just do it for a while and see what happens.

You are going to have to totally throw away every bit of brainwashing from NUTS and every other diet method. I sound brusque but that is not my intention. If you make your diet as streamlined as I posted above, you will lose weight and feel better.

Don't overanalyze. Just do it for a while and see what happens.
If you have a Ds, you need to do something very simple:

1. If it grew under the ground, is a grain or a fruit (as in the part of a plant that contains the seed), don't eat it.

2. If it has sugar, honey, syrup or any other version of same in it, don't eat it.

This means that you eat:meat, fish, fowl, eggs, real full fat cheese, leaves, stems, nuts and seeds. Oh, and fats and oils. In that regard, you can have twofruits withabandon, olives and avocados. The End.

You wanted it simple. There it is. Follow that and increase your activity level and you will lose weight.

Ok so I can have Avocados and Olives right? What about beans or any other low carb veggie? And the leaves and Stems thing does that mean lettuce and spinach and mustard greens? And what kinda nuts and seeds? I'm sorry I know I sound like an idiot but I am trying to learn and you sound like you know your stuff and would love to learn from you.

@ALSmith. Glad you came in.

Okay, the ONLY figure on DS Math that has ANY study behind it to support it is the fat absorption and it was a tiny study. The rest is conjecture. BUT it iss a place to start.

I know you are confused...Boyce's nuts do NOT help matters. But read what @Elizabeth N. posted. She is a long term vet who has lived this life for a long time.

1) Fat is your friend now, not your enemy in spite of what the nuts try to tell you.
2) If the calories on MFP is making you nuts, stop tracking on MFP and just write down the total amount of protein grams, fat grams, fluid and then if you have room left to eat, the carbs.
3) Count all your protein grams...just make sure you get over 100 grams every day. Count your fat grams...those need to be based on YOU. IF you are constipated, add more fat, if you have dry skin/hair, add fat. ONLY decrease your fat IF IT gives you the shits.
4) Stay away from most carbs. The carbs in milk, yogurt, sour cream are carbs you can have. They are close to the animal.

Liz

I don't have any issues with diarrhea at all I have been constipated and having to take laxatives every night of my life since I had my first surgery in 2009. My hair and skin is HORRIBLE but my docs told me I just needed to drink more fluids and take vitamins and drink protein they didn't bother telling me I needed more fat in my life.... actually told me to watch fat intake and portion sizes in which I don't have a problem with portions AT ALL... I just been doing it all wrong .... I am so happy that I was told about this site maybe I can get back on track and lose the rest of my weight ... Thanks so much!!!

Ok so I can have Avocados and Olives right? What about beans or any other low carb veggie? And the leaves and Stems thing does that mean lettuce and spinach and mustard greens? And what kinda nuts and seeds? I'm sorry I know I sound like an idiot but I am trying to learn and you sound like you know your stuff and would love to learn from you.
no beans or legumes. No peas, no corn. No rice or any other grain. Nothing that grew under the ground. (There are some exceptions to that, but that is a more advanced lesson, so we'll leave it for later.)

Leaves are leaves, regardless of the plant. Stems, think celery, rubarb, asparagus (not quite botanically correct but close enough.)

seeds....pumpkin, sunflower, chia etc. Nuts are nuts. Peanuts are the great exception to the no legume rule so we'll call them a nut.

Latest posts

Back