Zaycon Hamburger

Munchkin

Full of Fairy Dust
You all know I am cheap. So why am I telling you about an expensive product? Because it was so darn good I don't think I can go back to buying at the store.

Here's the why. I have been disappointed in hamburger from almost all the local stores. Seems like you start out with a pound and end up with not a whole lot left after you cook it. Seriously, I think it's that pink slime stuff that cooks away to nothing. And hamburger is mighty expensive if you have to buy 2 pounds for a 1 pound recipe because it all cooks away.

So I decided to try Zaycon foods hamburger. I had read lots of good reviews. They use no pink slime and it's from cows that were alive just a couple days ago. No hormones, grass fed, and all that other happy stuff. Never frozen. You have to buy at least one 'unit' and that's 40lbs packed in long plastic 10lb tubes. And it was $139.00. Not cheap. Plus I had to get some good quality freezer bags.

I bought it on their website and was told I would get an email telling me where and when to pick it up. I did get the mail giving me a date, a location(church parking lot), and a 30 minute window for pickup. I had just enough time to work on the necessary real estate in the freezer. I showed up on the appointed day and time and there was a guy with a rental truck in the parking lot with my meat. Strange but true!

Anyway the meat was amazing. It smelled and looked so good I even tried some raw. And a pound cooks up to the volume a pound of ground beef should have. It's like the ground beef your grandma used to buy from a real butcher. 40lbs of hamburger that is really 40lbs of hamburger. I can rationalize buying again because I no longer have to use 2lbs ground beef for a 1lb recipe. And OMG the Sloppy Joe's are the best!

If you want to try it just google Zaycon Foods. They have a lot of products and I haven't heard anything negative at all. The ground beef is the only one I have tried so far. I keep hoping they will start selling chicken thighs!

You all know I am cheap. So why am I telling you about an expensive product? Because it was so darn good I don't think I can go back to buying at the store.

Here's the why. I have been disappointed in hamburger from almost all the local stores. Seems like you start out with a pound and end up with not a whole lot left after you cook it. Seriously, I think it's that pink slime stuff that cooks away to nothing. And hamburger is mighty expensive if you have to buy 2 pounds for a 1 pound recipe because it all cooks away.

So I decided to try Zaycon foods hamburger. I had read lots of good reviews. They use no pink slime and it's from cows that were alive just a couple days ago. No hormones, grass fed, and all that other happy stuff. Never frozen. You have to buy at least one 'unit' and that's 40lbs packed in long plastic 10lb tubes. And it was $139.00. Not cheap. Plus I had to get some good quality freezer bags.

I bought it on their website and was told I would get an email telling me where and when to pick it up. I did get the mail giving me a date, a location(church parking lot), and a 30 minute window for pickup. I had just enough time to work on the necessary real estate in the freezer. I showed up on the appointed day and time and there was a guy with a rental truck in the parking lot with my meat. Strange but true!

Anyway the meat was amazing. It smelled and looked so good I even tried some raw. And a pound cooks up to the volume a pound of ground beef should have. It's like the ground beef your grandma used to buy from a real butcher. 40lbs of hamburger that is really 40lbs of hamburger. I can rationalize buying again because I no longer have to use 2lbs ground beef for a 1lb recipe. And OMG the Sloppy Joe's are the best!

If you want to try it just google Zaycon Foods. They have a lot of products and I haven't heard anything negative at all. The ground beef is the only one I have tried so far. I keep hoping they will start selling chicken thighs!

I have been buying beef roasts when they go on sale and grinding my own burger. I am still trying to get someone to go in halves on a half of beef. We do have a local rancher that has grass fed organic beef. I don't think the price is bad at all for what you are getting.

I have been buying beef roasts when they go on sale and grinding my own burger. I am still trying to get someone to go in halves on a half of beef. We do have a local rancher that has grass fed organic beef. I don't think the price is bad at all for what you are getting.
How far is Vegas from you? Is it a doable distance? And how much for 1/4 of a cow?

How far is Vegas from you? Is it a doable distance? And how much for 1/4 of a cow?

I have to go out. I will answer when I get back. I am 150 miles but I could transport when I come and visit my son.

We just got a 1/4 cow from a local farmer we met at the weekend market. Grass fed/finished.. said hello to the beeves myself. He also raises amazing chickens, ducks.. etc. No pigs. We did also buy a whole lamb. For the price per pound (and all the bones, organ meats etc you want) it beats anything I can find around here in town.. overall it's far cheaper for us to stock a big freezer and just have to get seafood and veggies in between. The chickens are spendier, but they taste like chicken.

I've heard lots of good things about Zaycon and their beef, chicken, and bacon. Too bad I don't have big moolah to drop on a ton of meat, nor a giant freezer to store 40lbs of tasty animal flesh!

I am trying to get an updated answer on the price of the meat. I last talked with her online in June or July.
That's great! Whenever! Don't have the freezer space right this minute anyway. Would require some planning for me. I also have three big dogs... Wonder about bones?

I have a good friend that gets ham, bacon, chicken and ground beef from them. She raves about the quality of their meats.

I looked them up before but it's not available in our area.

We just got a 1/4 cow from a local farmer we met at the weekend market. Grass fed/finished.. said hello to the beeves myself. He also raises amazing chickens, ducks.. etc. No pigs. We did also buy a whole lamb. For the price per pound (and all the bones, organ meats etc you want) it beats anything I can find around here in town.. overall it's far cheaper for us to stock a big freezer and just have to get seafood and veggies in between. The chickens are spendier, but they taste like chicken.
Love the taste like chicken comment. A few years ago I ordered chicken at a small place in Jackson Hole, WY. It was really good but it tasted odd to me. I had my mom try it and she just laughed and said it was real chicken! And the waitress confirmed they got their chicken from small local farmers. I was so used to the tasteless stuff that the real thing tasted odd!

Love the taste like chicken comment. A few years ago I ordered chicken at a small place in Jackson Hole, WY. It was really good but it tasted odd to me. I had my mom try it and she just laughed and said it was real chicken! And the waitress confirmed they got their chicken from small local farmers. I was so used to the tasteless stuff that the real thing tasted odd!

the best store chicken that comes really close I've found so far is this, but not tried a lot of other ones, like Kosher/Halal which I've heard can be great too- http://www.gerbers.com/
I can only find Gerber's in Jungle Jim's in Cincy, but we get there a few times a year.. when I roasted one of these compared to the ones I got last from Sam's (I know, but 2 chix for like.. 7$??) the difference was immediate.. the Gerber birds had FAT dripping from them, moist and not the slightest bit of that weird rubbery texture that over-injected birds get.

Latest posts

Back