Your Go-To Bread Substitute?

IMHO there really is no tasty substitute for real bread.

Both during weight loss and maintenance, I ate/eat very little bread. But I save myself for the really good stuff. I will go to a local Italian bakery and pick up one or two rolls when the urge hits. Or indulge, with lots of butter, at a restaurant when they bring out the hot bread

I have tried making a few loafs and such, like paleo nut breads. I found many of them very dry. And when I did find something acceptable, most of it would end up in the garbage as I would only really want a slice or two when it was hot and fresh

Hands down one of my favorite topics, especially as an admitted carb addict of the starchy kind, not sweet. I also limited my consumption in my first year for maximum loss, for me using the 50g carb guideline helped. But bread/crackers was a hard thing for me to give up, I need a crunch/starch, I can live fine without a lot of other things or found many 'vehicle' alternatives - like eating deli roll ups, etc.

What happydser said about the various recipes for more savory bread is true, not the easiest to make an alternative but definitely doable. For products on the shelf, I have found I like Ezekiel bread and a half of one slice did the trick. It's a heavier bread, moist, flavorful - not ever confused with real yummy bread, very good, toasts esp great. I also like Udi's Gluten Free breads and they make white, wheat, bagels, hamburger/hotdog buns. The loaves are small slices and the buns/bagels you only need a quarter of so it goes further. This stuff is pricier but I decided I was worth it. :) You can get both at regular grocery stores usually and Trader Joes.

TJ is also great for a lot of white flour alternative crackers and chips - soyflaxseed chips my favorite, used them for everything, and they even have 9g protein a serving. The mini brown rice, edamame crackers also great, Ak-mak, RyeKrisp. I also used small very low-carb tortillas, also usually half.

This is muffin-like and rather tasty. Even better if you replace the flax meal with half almond flour and half flax meal:

1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet Splenda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Egg
2 teaspoons melted butter

1.5 Carbs (net)

Mix the dry ingredients in a large coffee cup. Add egg and butter; mix well. Microwave for 50-seconds to 1-minute. Muffin pops right out. Split and spread with butter. Yum!

Latest posts

Back