Yoo-hoo!

Pugcrazy

Hi everybody - I'm new to this forum and have been reading your posts, they are so encouraging! I am in the beginning stages of this process...searching for a surgeon. Its just been in the last few months that I decided WLS was a real option for me, now that I have found out more about the DS procedure. I really believe its only appropriate procedure for me as I have a horrible time losing weight, even with 100% compliance to multiple "diets" combined with moderate exercise. I've undergone a couple of "resting metabolism" tests and score very low (duh! I could've told my Dr's that but it helps to have the confirmation). Unfortunately I don't qualify for coverage through my insurance carrier as I don't have the comorbidities with a BMI of 35 - a result of my dieting and exercising, no doubt - so I will be a Self Pay patient. I've come to terms with it, because if I add up all the money I have paid for diet programs, supplements, boot camps, fat camps, hypnotherapy, personal trainers, acupuncture, etc. I could have paid for WLS 10 times over!!!!!

I had a consult with a bariatric surgeon in Boston, he doesn't do DS and they don't even have a "self pay" option. He wants me to be his first balloon patient (Orbera) or the Maestro V Blok (stomach) pacemaker - both of which are temporary solutions, at $10K each - NO THANKS! I hope you all will bear with me as I learn more...so many of you have already helped me so much!

**There doesn't appear to be any DS Surgeons in Mass, so I am focusing on Florida as I go there for the winter months anyway.

Welcome @Pugcrazy
Love your name, btw.

As you probably know there is only one DS surgeon in FL, Dr. Dennis Smith in Celebration, FL. No clue as to his self pay rate. Next closest is Dr. Sudan in Durham, NC and Dr. Boyce in Knoxville, TN.

I had Boyce but was covered by insurance.

Hey! Welcome to the forum. You say you don't have a BMI of 35 with co-morbids. What is your current BMI?

@newanatomy, I probably worded that wrong, I HAVE a BMI of 35 - just not the comorbids required by my insurance (BC/BS Federal) for approval. I have osteoarthritis in my right knee (had a fall, then surgery) and need a knee replacement at some point, which inhibits my ability to walk long distances for exercise. Of course, my Dr's have assured me that I will have a better knee surgery result if I lose weight, buy my insurance company is not on board with that philosophy.
Welcome @Pugcrazy
Love your name, btw.

As you probably know there is only one DS surgeon in FL, Dr. Dennis Smith in Celebration, FL. No clue as to his self pay rate. Next closest is Dr. Sudan in Durham, NC and Dr. Boyce in Knoxville, TN.

I had Boyce but was covered by insurance.

I have 5 Pugs!

@southernlady, yes, thanks - I've completed the preliminary forms with Dr Smith, although they don't quite have the self pay pricing worked out yet as the facility where he is now Florida Hospital Bariatric Surgery Center - did not offer DS.

Thanks to everybody - its great to have people

@newanatomy, I probably worded that wrong, I HAVE a BMI of 35 - just not the comorbids required by my insurance (BC/BS Federal) for approval. I have osteoarthritis in my right knee (had a fall, then surgery) and need a knee replacement at some point, which inhibits my ability to walk long distances for exercise. Of course, my Dr's have assured me that I will have a better knee surgery result if I lose weight, buy my insurance company is not on board with that philosophy.

I have 5 Pugs!

@southernlady, yes, thanks - I've completed the preliminary forms with Dr Smith, although they don't quite have the self pay pricing worked out yet as the facility where he is now Florida Hospital Bariatric Surgery Center - did not offer DS.

Thanks to everybody - its great to have people
Have they tested for sleep apnea and or pre-diabetes?

No sleep apnea and my blood sugar is normal....I've been on a low carb/Paleo type eating plan for about two years. I take oodles of supplements for blood sugar/cholesterol health, lots of vitamins - trying to lose weight and just be generally healthy, on my own. I'm sure if let go and went wild, I could get both my BMI and blood sugar/pressure/cholesterol up - but that seems insane to me!!!

No sleep apnea and my blood sugar is normal....I've been on a low carb/Paleo type eating plan for about two years. I take oodles of supplements for blood sugar/cholesterol health, lots of vitamins - trying to lose weight and just be generally healthy, on my own. I'm sure if let go and went wild, I could get both my BMI and blood sugar/pressure/cholesterol up - but that seems insane to me!!!
However, it also might get it paid for.

because if I add up all the money I have paid for diet programs, supplements, boot camps, fat camps, hypnotherapy, personal trainers, acupuncture, etc. I could have paid for WLS 10 times over!!!!!

I liked this! it is so very true! Congratulations on your decision and hope your find a surgeon soon.

Hello and welcome! Good luck as you move forward with finding your surgeon and the right self-pay option.

Hello I am in Florida but I had a band to VSG conversion. Just wanted you to know that BCBS Fed paid for my surgery even though I don't know if I met the requirements. I went on fepblue website and was surprised how many things they had me listed for as "diagnosis" even though I am fairly healthy other than being a fatty. I used that to my advantage and wrote a letter outlining everything and how my life and health would be improved with surgery. Got approved in around a week. Just saying it can't hurt to try. I think they have come around when it comes to WLS.

Latest posts

Back