Wunderland

Georgepds

So... wunderland. Height 5 ft 8 in ~193 lbs bmi~29.. My heaviest weight was 354 ,bmi~54, two years ago around this time in Jan 2018 ~324 lbs bmi~49

I've been fat off and on. I was trim in school, ran cross country, competed in high bar, walked the length of Vt three times and almost all of the AT once... Somewhere around middle age I got sedentary, and the weight I had as a kid piled back on, that and more

I did my operation in 2 stages , VSG ~May 2018 and DS ~May 2019.Not my first choice but that's what the surgeon would do, and that's what the insurance paid for.. in Boston (Dr Lutz in Concord) for those of you who insist that no one in Boston does DS (sheesh.. really )

I find the VSG still has the strongest noticeable influence. IF I order a meal, and it's too much, I leave it on the plate. I've never done that before in my life. The DS is still working of course. I concentrate on fluids protein and vitamins, and minimize processed carbs.. nothing remotely like a diet... and the pounds still come off at a rate of ~5 lbs per month. If I stay where I am ,I'm fine, if. I loose more, I'm fine with that

I like to travel and attend theater. It's a relief not to have to worry about seats any more...especially on a plane.. no more requests for a seat belt extension.

The best thing, after a 12 year struggle the T2 diabetes is in remission. I won't say cure, it can come roaring back, but for now, no meds and an A1C of 4.5

Last edited:
Congratulations! Wonderland is an incredible milestone to achieve, especially when it is ~150+ lbs from the heaviest point. So happy to read that the T2 diabetes is in remission. May 2020 bring continued happy and healthy news!

For future Boston-area readers, does Dr. Lutz perform DS in one procedure for any patients, or does he always require two separate surgeries for DS?

Thanks! I was raised in Massachusetts and have friends and loved ones there so very happy to be able there now is DS availability in the region.

When I persisted he said he reserved it for the heaviest of patients, those of bmi 70.

That's interesting. I've heard of other surgeons that usually do a traditional single stage DS, but at the top end of the BMI spectrum require two separate surgeries, presumably to mitigate higher risks associated with the heaviest of patients. Dr. Lautz' approach appears to be the opposite.

That's interesting. I've heard of other surgeons that usually do a traditional single stage DS, but at the top end of the BMI spectrum require two separate surgeries, presumably to mitigate higher risks associated with the heaviest of patients. Dr. Lautz' approach appears to be the opposite.
I wonder what he would do if the VSG wasn’t approved by insurance. It was 18 months after my DS before Medicare authorized the VSG.

Latest posts

Back