Would you take a job with awesome food all the time

galaxygrrl

So Facebook called me yesterday about a job. And it was great to be called and honored.

Here is my problem. Facebook has an awesome campus and has so much yummy food everywhere. They have all these free places to eat. Dim Sum, BBQ, ice cream, buffets and everything else I love. And snacks everywhere.

There is something called the Facebook 40, which is the 40 pounds you gain when you start working at FB. I don't think I could control myself at FB. I would just eat all day.

Of course, I will talk to them, but I really think I can't take a job there for this reason.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I know I'm putting the cart before the horse on this becasue I don't know if I will get the job and there is a bad communte.

But it was an interesting question and thought it would be fun to ask.

After my surgery, when I was still working at jobsites, I found that I could avoid people's candy bowls at work, and most of the pastries. Just fill up on the protein for free.

FB is supposed to be a great place to work, aside from the food. How is the money, and can you snatch enough protein to take home??

So Facebook called me yesterday about a job. And it was great to be called and honored.

Here is my problem. Facebook has an awesome campus and has so much yummy food everywhere. They have all these free places to eat. Dim Sum, BBQ, ice cream, buffets and everything else I love. And snacks everywhere.

There is something called the Facebook 40, which is the 40 pounds you gain when you start working at FB. I don't think I could control myself at FB. I would just eat all day.

Of course, I will talk to them, but I really think I can't take a job there for this reason.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I know I'm putting the cart before the horse on this becasue I don't know if I will get the job and there is a bad communte.

So I certainly dont work for Facebook. But I do work for a major media technology company, and we do have alot of food around. There are tons and tons of catered lunches. Im in sales, by profession, so regardless of the company, there's always food. Networking events, team functions, random Wednesday..you name it, theres a reason for food. I'd say the biggest thing is learning self discipline. Certainly easier said than done for sure!!! But I wouldn't let food be the reason I pass on a great opportunity

Well I'm certainly going to go after the job and if I get it I will figure it out then. It's not the catered lunches that do me in or the going out to eat. It's the fact there at tons of cafeterias with good food and it's all free and you could have 10 free lunches at different places every day.

I have no disapline when I comes to food. The DS helps for sure, but after the first few months I wanted to eat more again. It's still hard.

Hopefully I will get to make the choice. ;-)

Thanks all. This is not quite the reaction I thought i would get. I know it's food seems like the last reason to take a job or not take a job, but if I get fat again, who cares about the pay, responsibility, etc.

I think the job is a long shot to be honest, but you never know. ;-)

I couldn’t because they gutted the corpse of SUNW and are walking around in it

I miss the 90s

Thanks all. This is not quite the reaction I thought i would get. I know it's food seems like the last reason to take a job or not take a job, but if I get fat again, who cares about the pay, responsibility, etc.

I think we have more faith in you than you do in yourself! Perhaps this is provocative, but isn't this just another way being 'fat' has limited/is limiting your choices, albeit through fear of returning to fatness?

I've always heard that Facebook and Google were awesome companies to work for because they encourage, and value time spent away from work with your families. They also have a lot of perks and incentives. Another bonus for me is their location. I'm in Tennessee and I've always wanted to live on the west coast.

If I were you, I'd probably be tempted to take the job and keep a good watch on your weight. Try to stick to low carb as best as you can. Honestly, my company has zero perks and they also provide a ton of free food including donuts, so food could be tempting at almost any place of employment.

Had you asked this about a bakery, I'd feel different, and used to hate seeing donuts and bagels and the like by the gross in the break room, but what you're talking about, I could totally get behind. I adore dim sum, in part because I can have things by the bite, and by the time I've had a few favorites, I'm sated and don't even care about an actual meal. Also, having protein options, I'd just make a habit of going for the bbq or the things I know were proteiny and not even get familiar with the rest. That's another thing about dim sum, is that if you want something bad, you can actually get a single bite, rather than a whole dessert.

Latest posts

Back