Would it be better to crush calcium?

Are you taking the Jarrow Bone Up version that is 6 tabs a dose or 3 tabs a dose @CaraOC ? If you are only taking 3 tabs of the 6 tab per dose, you're only getting 500mg of calcium.
Yup. Seems I didn't calculate properly. I'm getting 500mg from jarrow daily plus 945mg from citracal. So I'm short on the goal of 1800 mg

I've had several abdominal X-rays in the past 6 months b/c of kidney stones and in most the radiologist made note of solid tablets in my bowels. I've seen them on these X-rays and they are still pill shaped. The only thing I take thats that big is calcium. I wonder if the PPI is not leaving enough acid to digest them so I am not truly absorbing calcium, which is bad in an of itself but also may be contributing to kidney stones. Would absorption be increased if I crushed them and mixed them in yogurt as I did for the first month or two post DS?
Are you certain they are calcium? I only ask because I only take one other pill that size, which is a type of potassium for kidney stones, and it goes all the way through in pill shape, but I still extract the potassium out of it.

Yup. Seems I didn't calculate properly. I'm getting 500mg from jarrow daily plus 945mg from citracal. So I'm short on the goal of 1800 mg
The goal has been 2,000 mg a day but about 6 months ago Dr Keshishian revised his recommendation and now advocates that we take 3,000 mg of calcium daily. Yep, I know that is very hard to do but he says for bone health and to help stopping oxylate stones that it amount is needed. He also recommends taking half of that dose with food so the excess goes out with your feces rather than being processed by the kidneys and stones forming.

The goal has been 2,000 mg a day but about 6 months ago Dr Keshishian revised his recommendation and now advocates that we take 3,000 mg of calcium daily. Yep, I know that is very hard to do but he says for bone health and to help stopping oxylate stones that it amount is needed. He also recommends taking half of that dose with food so the excess goes out with your feces rather than being processed by the kidneys and stones forming.
Well dang it I just can't seem to get anything right with the stupid vitamins. I was following the vita chick vitamin schedule and she says 600 mg x 3 daily. Back to the drawing board. I can't seem to fit food and this mass amount of vitamins in the sleeve of mine!!

I believe it was just in the last six months that Dr K started advocating 3,000 mg of Calcium Citrate or MicroCrystalline HydroxyApatite (MCHA) which is the Jarrow Bone Up. I take that because citrate is binding for me and they are easier to swallow. I take at least half of them with food so since I started doing that it helped me with the timing and being able to get everything in.

It is a balancing act and I think you will find your sleeve volume will likely increase over the next year.

Latest posts

Back