Worlds heaviest woman going to my DS surgeon in India

bearmom

I just ran across this, and saw it was the surgeon and hospital i went to. Not sure how I feel reading about this gal, as I had a round with him once I go there and he tried to suggest I go with RNY instead of DS, and I also didn't feel the hospital was equipped for very large patients (I was 49 BMI, so could fit in most regular wheelchairs etc, but just BARELY, and Mufazzle Lakdawala (the surgeon) had big plans for new surgery centers and making WLS more accessible in that part of the world.

I didn't see where a surgery type is mentioned, but It's been 9 years, so I certainly hope the equipment and staff are better suited for over sized humans than before.

Ok, looking for more recent stuff and and update, I only find mention of the sleeve. This surgeon was also in the news when he did a sleeve on a fairly young person (17, I think) and there was some controversy due the age, but I understood going with the sleeve then, but really hope DS was the final plan for this woman.

I also saw this snippet "Saifee Hospital had already performed a genetic study for 91 genes responsible for obesity-related issues. Ahmed was diagnosed with a mutation in LEPR gene" and am really happy that they are looking at roles genes may play in obesity.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...e-hospital-in-mumbai/articleshow/57094657.cms

I've been following her story - so sad that she didn't get the help she needed sooner! As I understand it, special arrangements were necessary to transport her from Egypt, then she spent a few months in the hospital pre-op and lost several hundred lbs, then had a sleeve. I think this was a smart decision, because her health was so compromised that she needed to spend as little time under anesthesia as possible. What the future plan for her is, I don't know. More recently I read that her family was unhappy with the care at this hospital and had her moved to United Arab Emirates for further care. I hope there will be more updates.

Wow, that poor woman. I can't image living life with that much weight. My top was 275 and it was hard to move. I hope she gets the care she needs.

Thanks! Considering how young she is, she sure hasn't been able to catch a break! She probably hasn't eaten anything in months, looks like they are feeding her through that NG tube.

Poor thing has already had strokes and has a leaky heart valve. I have to wonder whether she'll ever be cleared for surgery.

I'm curious how much more she'll lose after surgery (if she gets it) and plastics. She has a hard row to hoe in life, but that she's lost 300kg is only good news

My understanding is that she did have the sleeve done in India, after being there 2-3 months and losing some weight.

“Further reduction of weight is planned by strict diet and possible surgical intervention may be a part of the long-term plan,” Dr El-Shahat, pointing out a possibility of another weight reduction surgery that Ahmed may undergo in time to come.

so there is more surgery (possibly) on the horizon. My guess is we're talking about a revision from VSG to DS?

so there is more surgery (possibly) on the horizon. My guess is we're talking about a revision from VSG to DS?
Unfortunately, many VSG'ers go to a bariatric surgeon who revises to the RNY. I wish the second step was the DS...but my guess is only about 10% of those seeking a revision to their VSG actually end up hearing about the DS.

Latest posts

Back