WLS and diabetes

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
A bit of background, I was a type 2 on an insulin pump. But I have a stepdaughter who is a type 1.

WLS unfortunately will not resolve diabetes in a type 1 like it will in a type 2 because unlike type 2's who just use insulin poorly, a type 1 does not even make insulin.

Type 1 and LADA are autoimmune diabetes. Type 2 is genetic/weight related. ONLY current method of resolving a type 1/LADA is a pancreatic transplant.

Now, getting WLS and losing weight WILL ease your insulin needs in Type 1 and LADA. But you will ALWAYS require insulin as your body does not make it.

Make sure your endo is letting your bariatric surgeon and the hospital know exactly how to care for your diabetes.

Google Dr Francesco robinio at NY Presbyterian/Cornell , he has so remarkable research results. He sent me to anthone when pomp turned me away. He is a super doc

Google Dr Francesco robinio at NY Presbyterian/Cornell , he has so remarkable research results. He sent me to anthone when pomp turned me away. He is a super doc
I'm trying to figure out what this had to do with explaining the difference between type 1/LADA and type 2 as it relates to Bariatric surgery .

I think there are a fair number of adult-onset diabetics on insulin who never get properly evaluated for the true nature of their diabetes. I was one of those. I was on my third or fourth endocrinologist when I was prepping for my DS, and it was ONLY my surgeon's questions about type II vs. LADA in my case that prompted the endo to order the appropriate bloodwork. (And I'd been on insulin for 14 years.)

IMNSHO it's another example of fucking LAZY doctoring of fat people.

I can concur on that, my first endocrinologist 40 years ago said I didn't have DI , wrong, so for wls I went to a surgeon who was also a endocrinologist too.,

Latest posts

Back