Why does duodenal switch surgery cause kidney stones

I'm always grouchy, so I'm not sure if I acheived a new level, but I did start eating kale chips when freed from that barbaric diet. To be fair, it's still not the kale I crave, but the ranch powder or cheese on them.

Ok spiky... you'going to hve to deconstruct the joke for those of us slow on the uptake
Ooops! I conflated my multiple dietary restrictions, which makes things far worse than just needing low oxalates. The Shrimp Louie? It coulda been a Cobb Salad, too. But that’s because I’m also supposed to avoid things like onion, garlic, tomato, anything with seeds, etc. So, my bad! Sorry.

Something else then...I want a big ol’ bowl of bean soup with ham, some nice high protein nuts, some spinach in a quiche or frittata or omelette, a potato with those steaks, a peanut butter sandwich, chocolate anything and a glass of iced tea in the summer.

Tomorrow, we will have split pea soup with ham. It’ll do. But I wanted bean soup.

OMG - except for the chard, rhubarb and raspberries (I can’t stand the tiny hard seeds in my mouth - love seedless raspberry jam), I ought to have boulders in my kidneys!

my god, some of those are the healthiest things you can eat, and also tasty!

garlic! greens! raspberries!

am I just lucky I haven't had stones (yet?!)

I had a co-worker who got stones once and I recall it was horribly painful so this is something I want to NOT worry about. maybe if I just drink lots of water that plan will work.

what I want to hear is that if my body was likely to make stones I'd already know about it.....

ETA: um, did I mention my anxiety really shot up the last week or two? :rolleyes: .

this morning I freaked out when someone on another forum was talking about how terrible eastern OR is (a place I've been dying to see and birdwatch) and I learned about a substance called Erionite.

life is just too damn scary!

I'm another stone former that was this way long before my DS, but the link from Spiky above pretty much sums up what my nephrologist says, as well as my having low citrate. I take a prescription for raise the urinary citrate to make it harder for stones to form in the kidney. My kidney stone issues were likely hereditarty, and several generations have had them, and have even died from complications with them, but I was told my DS most certainly exacerbated them. We know more about them than previous generations, and the the increase in the calcium (ALWAYS taken with any food eaten) and the potassium RX have made a huge difference in reducing mine (and the low oxalate diet did absolutley nothing to help).
bearmom, how much calcium do you take? there is calcium in my urine, so my urologist is suggesting i cut back on my calcium to 1000 mg /day. I am currently taking 1500mg daily, per my bariatric's advice. everything i've read on kidney stones says not to cut back the calcium...

Ooops! I conflated my multiple dietary restrictions, which makes things far worse than just needing low oxalates. The Shrimp Louie? It coulda been a Cobb Salad, too. But that’s because I’m also supposed to avoid things like onion, garlic, tomato, anything with seeds, etc. So, my bad! Sorry.

Something else then...I want a big ol’ bowl of bean soup with ham, some nice high protein nuts, some spinach in a quiche or frittata or omelette, a potato with those steaks, a peanut butter sandwich, chocolate anything and a glass of iced tea in the summer.

Tomorrow, we will have split pea soup with ham. It’ll do. But I wanted bean soup.

View attachment 2207
on this chart.. am i understanding correctly on the calcium, vit D, vit C.. don't take more than those dosings daily?

I am of the opinion…based on ZERO scientific training or education…that the DS can exacerbate a pre-existing kidney stone issue.

I didn’t have stones pre-DS. But now I do get stones...in my left kidney. If it were JUST the DS, the problem ought to be bilateral. Having a mess on one side suggests that, like you, I had issues pre-DS, but in my case, I was unaware.

My guess is that you will need to adjust to the idea that you will need to be constantly vigilant, take the supplements, avoid the oxalates, and…maybe…remind yourself that this is the price you are paying for not being morbidly obese and having a shortened life.
do you also have to watch your sodium intake?

I'm another stone former that was this way long before my DS, but the link from Spiky above pretty much sums up what my nephrologist says, as well as my having low citrate. I take a prescription for raise the urinary citrate to make it harder for stones to form in the kidney. My kidney stone issues were likely hereditarty, and several generations have had them, and have even died from complications with them, but I was told my DS most certainly exacerbated them. We know more about them than previous generations, and the the increase in the calcium (ALWAYS taken with any food eaten) and the potassium RX have made a huge difference in reducing mine (and the low oxalate diet did absolutley nothing to help).
sorry... do you have to watch your sodium intake too? and how much D and calcium do you take daily? and when? i know you said everytime you eat, you take calcium... so that it binds any oxalate before heading to the kidneys?

:confused:

what signs? :oops:
you'll have mild to moderate lower back pain, blood in your urine, the urge to wanna pee. and a lot of times for me, it feels like something wants to come out... my uterer, but it's because the stone wants to pass. these are the signs that i have... and when i get back pain, and i haven't done anything strenuous, then i know it's a stone that's wanting to pass. when you feel the pain, it's because the stone is moving.

I mentioned earlier that my urologist wants me to cut back CA to 1000mg/day.... and i emailed Dr. K to get his feedback, and interestingly, Dr. K says I should probably stop the CA altogether and check my numbers in 2-3 months.... i thought.. wow! anyone want to weigh in with their thoughts??

Latest posts

Back