Who had a feeding tube?

Kristaz

Out of the hospital today and so ready! Feel 100 times better just not being in the hospital. However I have a feeding tube for 4-6 weeks - I k ow just to be safe make sure I am getting in my protoen and staying hydrated. Dr k doesn't really have a strict follow up diet just kind of listen to your body do what feels right. I was all tube while in the hospital now I had a little chicken broth via mouth but I don't know how to differentiate. What / when should I be mouth vs tube?

Out of the hospital today and so ready! Feel 100 times better just not being in the hospital. However I have a feeding tube for 4-6 weeks - I k ow just to be safe make sure I am getting in my protoen and staying hydrated. Dr k doesn't really have a strict follow up diet just kind of listen to your body do what feels right. I was all tube while in the hospital now I had a little chicken broth via mouth but I don't know how to differentiate. What / when should I be mouth vs tube?
I did not have a tube but my understanding is the tube to give your self supplemental nutrition and liquids if you aren't able to get enough by mouth.... So I think if you can eat you eat but use the feeding tube to make sure you are getting enough.

By the way where are you staying and when do you get to go home? We stayed at the Springhill suites in Burbank our last trip and when out for our son we were at a hi express in Pasadena. I liked Burbank better but the hotel was more expensive.

I did not have a tube but my understanding is the tube to give your self supplemental nutrition and liquids if you aren't able to get enough by mouth.... So I think if you can eat you eat but use the feeding tube to make sure you are getting enough.

DSRIGGS - I'm curious - why didn't you have a feeding tube (I thought Dr K. Did that to everyone)? Also, you said in a post a couple weeks ago that you had surgery on a Monday and were on your way home after a week I thought.

When I talked to Dr. K he said everyone has a feeding tube and you have to stay in LA 10-15 days after surgery.

Thanks!
Jen

DSRIGGS - I'm curious - why didn't you have a feeding tube (I thought Dr K. Did that to everyone)? Also, you said in a post a couple weeks ago that you had surgery on a Monday and were on your way home after a week I thought.

When I talked to Dr. K he said everyone has a feeding tube and you have to stay in LA 10-15 days after surgery.

Thanks!
Jen
Because I didn't have a typical revision. My revision was because I was suffering from bad malnutrition due to my AL mainly being too short. My AL was lengthened and my CC was slightly as well. My stomach wasn't touched and my problem wasn't that I couldn't eat enough. I could eat a large volume, but I wasn't absorbing what was eating so there was no reason for a feeding tube.

Last edited:
Because I didn't have a typical revision. My revision was because I was suffering from bad malnutrition due to my AL mainly being too short, my AL was lengthened and my was slightly as well. My stomach wasn't touched and my problem wasn't that I couldn't eat enough. I could eat a large volume, but I wasn't absorbing what was eating so there was no reason for a feeding tube.

Oh got it. Thanks!!

By the way where are you staying and when do you get to go home? We stayed at the Springhill suites in Burbank our last trip and when out for our son we were at a hi express in Pasadena. I liked Burbank better but the hotel was more expensive.
We are at the Marriott near the hospital. The first few days before surgery we stayed at the days inn in Glendale and I would not reccommend it. A little ding. Follow up appt is Friday then can go home. Will
Still have the feeding tube just to be sure can get all the protoen and hydration in. Which at this point I would say is a good thing.

Thanks!
Jen
Yeah. He told us about a week to 10 days. We got here last Wednesday / surgery Friday / released from hospital yesterday and hopefully head home Friday.

We are at the Marriott near the hospital. The first few days before surgery we stayed at the days inn in Glendale and I would not reccommend it. A little ding. Follow up appt is Friday then can go home. Will
Still have the feeding tube just to be sure can get all the protoen and hydration in. Which at this point I would say is a good thing.
Were you at Verdugo Hills or Huntington Memorial?

and if you were at the Days Inn in Eagle rock, I wish I would have known that. We stayed there one night got out as fast as we could. It was old, run down, the water stopped working and I did not feel safe leaving my wife there.....so we found the Springhill Suites in Burbank and it was great. Brand new and the new Springhill Suites are 100 times nicer than the old ones. They are like a Hyatt Place with great breakfast and in room accommodations. It was with a 3 minute walk from a mall and several great restaurants in Burbank.

Last edited:
Regarding time in the area. We arrived on Sunday, consultation on Monday, surgery Tuesday and flew home on Monday. He likes patients to stay longer but also understands the requirements of life.

Huntington.
That makes sense because I was trying to figure out where the Marriott was near Verdugu Hills.

and yes the feeding tube for hydration and protein is a good idea. With my virgin DS I had a horrible time staying hydrated and getting any nutrients because my stomach didn't like this surgery and I simply wasn't thirsty (and everything tasted like garbage).

What kind of feeding tube is it? One that goes through your nose? Who takes it out (since I'm in DC and will have Dr. K do the procedure)?

What kind of feeding tube is it? One that goes through your nose? Who takes it out (since I'm in DC and will have Dr. K do the procedure)?
It's in my side. He said he can take it out or I can have it removed at home. He'd just rather be the one to put it in.

Latest posts

Back