Who dat?

MaryB

Hey, everyone! I'm new here. I have a DS scheduled with Dr. Sudan in Durham, NC on October 14.

I've thought about WLS for a while now, but finally decided to do it after losing my husband of 17 years to cancer in 2014. I have twin 12 year old boys, and it's vital that I am healthy and stick around to take care of them. I also realize that they will be leaving for college in just 6 years, and I want to be able to optimize the time I have with them. I want to take them hiking, kayaking, horseback riding, etc. - all things I can't do now.

I've done all of my prerequisites for insurance, so if all goes well, my surgery will be in 3 weeks (the day after the 2 year anniversary of my husband's death.) My kids are scared because they saw their dad have lots of surgeries and lose a lot of weight before he died. But I told them this is a good surgery, and I am losing weight on purpose - not due to illness. They are going to need lots of reassurance. They've never seen their mom under 300 lb.

I look forward to getting to know you all, and learning a lot here!

The journey begins...

I'm sorry about your husband, and it sounds like you still have your hands full with teen twins.

The DS really does sound scary, but I had mounting co-morbs by the day that I know for a fact would have ended my life if I didn't address them. I'm over 8 years post DS, and no longer take any of the meds as the co-morbs are all resolved. I take vitamins instead, which is a wonderful trade as far as I'm concerned.

I've gone back to living a life of skiing/snow boarding, kayaking, zip lining, hiking (up volcanoes!!!) and travel. All because of the DS. I'm 51 now, so not a spring chicken, but likely the healthiest I've ever been.

I think it's wonderful you are going to make the most of the next few years doing stuff with your kids, and before you know it, you'll be watching grand kids. I've found this journey to be almost magical, and hope it's just as great for you.

Welcome @MaryB
Sorry about the loss of your husband. I can understand your kids being nervous. Sudan is one of the best as far as surgical skill...but even his vitamin info is not completely DS based.

I'm sorry about your husband too.

So, here is what I wish people told me before hand. This surgery sounds super scary. But, you know what, the first week is freakin' horrible. The second week is better.

You will be so glad you had it. So, will your kids. You will be able to do so much more with them. Sending you the best.

Cheers

Welcome. I'm sorry about the loss of your husband and your children's father.

October 14 will be my 8 years "surgiversary". I have lost 90% of my excess weight. With the exception of a few months when a huge kidney stone wreaked havoc with my ability to eat, I've maintained that. The stone was blasted and I re-gained what I had lost (105% of excess weight.) It seems natural that your kids would be anxious. Stay here with us for not only for the stories of our journey, but for the myriad of clinical articles that are cited. This will reinforce your decision and that confidence will help allay their fears.

And just think: As you eat less, that will mean that when your kids turn into bottomless pits, your grocery bill will even out. Teen-age boys are notorious for the amount of food they consume, if they haven't already hit that stage.

Best wishes.

Welcome, my condolences on the lost of your husband and boys Dad, and best wishes for a successful DS procedure and smooth recovery. I am not going to lie, the first month was very rough for me but it does get better.

Hi and welcome @MaryB ! I'm inspired by your strength and resolve. I wish you all the best on your upcoming procedure and hope you will continue to share your story with us as it unfolds! :)

Welcome! I am sorry for your loss. I am so happy for you that you are mapping a new path for yourself and your family. Good luck on your journey.

Well congratulations on finally making a decision to havong surgery ans getting through getting your prerequisites completed. Welcome

Latest posts

Back