Whats your BMI now?

Highest 355# bmi~52
Now 180# bmi~26

Could be better, could be worse, any weight under 200# bmi~29, and I feel OK
Almost 2 years out from DS surgery date (May 2109)

The lowest weight I've been at my adult height was 130# bmi ~ 19, and that was after I walked the bottom half of the Appalachain Trail all summer
Four years before I was a gymnast (high bar) and had 20# more muscle on my frame , my weight was 150# bmi~ 22.

The first lesson from those old lows is that I can weigh a lot less, and still be healthy.
The second lesson is that, for me, vigorous activity (hiking, gymnastics) clearly helps.

But , really, all I want is to be presentable in public company, and not have my weight get in the way. Well, that and to get rid of all those killer co-morbidities that I carried with the weight

Was 44 originally, now 29 BMI, had the DS 7 months ago. Heaviest weight was 277, and now about175. Gastroenterologist seems to think my fatty liver issues will go away when I lose another 25 pounds and I would love to see that happen.

This morning my BMI was 21.4. My PCP changed around some of my prescriptions a month ago and I lost 6 lbs in a week which freaked me out. This month marks my 3 year DS anniversary.

My BMI prior to DS was 63.
Today it's 27.5
I'm currently trying to educate one of my doctors on the idea that since I've lost over 200 lbs and haven't had skin removal surgery, to please stop telling me to lose more weight . I'm very healthy and after skin removal it will be obvious my body is perfectly fine where I'm at.

I used to want to focus on BMI. But with osteoporosis making me shorter minute by minute, my weight can stay the same but my BMI can increase. That does not make me smile.

My BMI prior to DS was 63.
Today it's 27.5
I'm currently trying to educate one of my doctors on the idea that since I've lost over 200 lbs and haven't had skin removal surgery, to please stop telling me to lose more weight . I'm very healthy and after skin removal it will be obvious my body is perfectly fine where I'm at.
Well, that, and…I recall reading…some time ago…that we developed larger/stronger/heavier/(?) bones as a result of carrying around extra weight.

I wonder if that is true. If so, with a BMI in the 60s, you were essentially “weight lifting” 24/7.

Well, that, and…I recall reading…some time ago…that we developed larger/stronger/heavier/(?) bones as a result of carrying around extra weight.

I wonder if that is true. If so, with a BMI in the 60s, you were essentially “weight lifting” 24/7.
Exactly. Some Dr's take none of these factors into account. They just look at the stupid BMI chart. Outdated and dumb.

Well... they may have big bones, but there is some evidence that the obese don't have not strong bones

"It was once thought that carrying some extra weight actually helped build stronger bones. The theory went that bones get stronger when they bear weight (as they do when you do weight bearing exercises or strength train). But more recently, studies have revealed that being obese or having type 2 diabetes can actually lead to an increased risk of low bone density and fractures.

Latest posts

Back