What to do w/ leftover corned beef??

bearmom

If you are lucky enough to have some corned beef left over, here is a low carb, high protein, creamy recipe.

If you don't have any, it is ON SALE RIGHT NOW.

Bonus- it is lazy cooking using the crock pot.

Reuben soup
Ingredients
  • 1 Med Onion – Diced
  • 2 Stalks Celery – Diced
  • 2 Lg Cloves Garlic – Minced
  • 3 Tbs. Butter
  • 1 lb. Corned Beef – Chopped
  • 32 oz. Beef Stock
  • 1 C Sauerkraut
  • 1 tsp. Sea Salt
  • 1 tsp. Caraway Seeds
  • ¾ tsp. Pepper
  • 2 C Heavy Cream
  • 1 ½ C Shredded Swiss Cheese
  • Pinch mustard

Instructions
  1. Heat slow cooker on high setting.
  2. To a large sauté pan, over low-medium heat, add onion, celery, garlic and butter. Sauté until soft and translucent. Transfer to slow cooker.
  3. To the slow cooker, add corned beef, beef stock, sauerkraut, sea salt, caraway seed, black pepper and mustard. Cover and cook on high for 4.5 hours.
  4. Add heavy cream and Swiss cheese and cook 1 additional hour.

Notes
Makes Servings: 14
1 Serving: 1 cup
Calories: 225
Carbs: 4 net grams
Fat: 18.5 g
Protein: 11.5 g
(76% fat, 19% protein, 5% carbs)

Oh yum! Except for the part about having leftover corned beef - because that gets inhaled by me or our across the street parasites in a hot minute. We had our corned beef a week early - so we bought another one that's still in the fridge - I might have to try this.

Another thing you can do with leftover corned beef is to chop up an onion and a large potato, add some beef broth, and cook it up together to make corned beef hash - then you can frizzle that up in the morning until some of it is a little charred/crisp, and put a fried (or if you're REALLY good, poached) egg on top.

Poached is "better" only because I like the silky texture of a poached egg on the corned beef - but it's far too much trouble (assuming you can successfully make one at all) and makes another pot dirty (you can fry up the hash and then fry the egg in the same pan). When I go out for breakfast, I order the egg poached.

OK, don't hate me but ... I don't make my breakfast, my husband does. He sees it as his duty and his challenge, because he only started learning to cook a few years ago, and because he built the kitchen and sees it as his domain. So my challenge is to ask him to cook me things he can do well, while not being TOO demanding. The fried egg (easier, less mess) is my compromise. :daz:

I will have to try making my own corned beef hash. I actually have a poached egg pan and love it. When I cook them I always smother them in butter. I think I will make a good DSer.

Well, I posted the soup recipe because I thought it would be more friendly to the DS diet, and so many folks complain about different carbs that cause gas so I wanted something sans potatoes, but truth be told, reuben sandwiches and corned beef hash are eternal favorites. I buy multiple corned beef roasts to freeze when they go on sale after st paddys day just to keep me in reubens and hash the rest of the year.

It is hard to get good corned beef hash if made elsewhere. Yes, I'll eat the canned shit, but it is a completely different and inferior food from REAL hash. I personally have no issues with carbs or potatoes, and even if I did, I would have a farts be damned attitude when it comes to my beloved hash.

Latest posts

Back