What Prolia Has Done So Far

k9ophile

My PCP follows my osteoporosis between Dexa scans with n-telopeptide testing. It's a urine sample, easy enough to do without enduring needles. My latest result after a Prolia injection has shown a drastic improvement. I still have to wait until August for my next Dexa, yet I'm glad it's helping. I also got my Medicare EOB. Cost of Prolia is $2640.00, and my share may be $222.96. I don't know if Tricare will kick in for the rest, yet I'm grateful for my relatively low co-pay if it doesn't.

I know that some of you are refusing drugs like Boniva, Forteo, Prolia, etc. and I respect that. I decided it was worth the risk and am pleased. Just thought I'd share for those who are wondering if Prolia helps.

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
With my current lifestyle, Prolia is not an option. When we settle down again, that could easily change.

Spiky Bugger

My PCP follows my osteoporosis between Dexa scans with n-telopeptide testing. It's a urine sample, easy enough to do without enduring needles. My latest result after a Prolia injection has shown a drastic improvement. I still have to wait until August for my next Dexa, yet I'm glad it's helping. I also got my Medicare EOB. Cost of Prolia is $2640.00, and my share may be $222.96. I don't know if Tricare will kick in for the rest, yet I'm grateful for my relatively low co-pay if it doesn't.

I know that some of you are refusing drugs like Boniva, Forteo, Prolia, etc. and I respect that. I decided it was worth the risk and am pleased. Just thought I'd share for those who are wondering if Prolia helps.
Susie Sunshine here. I just read somewhere...now I have to go find it...that testing during treatment produces unreliable results.

I’m reading such things because I’ll (likely) soon be starting Forteo. Damn.

k9ophile

Susie Sunshine here. I just read somewhere...now I have to go find it...that testing during treatment produces unreliable results.

I’m reading such things because I’ll (likely) soon be starting Forteo. Damn.
Now that I'm in my late 60's, I don't expect miracles to my health. I just do what I think minimizes catastrophic results and hope for the best. Too much research leaves me dazed and confused. However, I did read the article. I offer you this in case you're wondering about markers other than DEXA scans:
https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/85/10/3537/2851727

I know you are concerned about taking Forteo. I hope you find some resolution to your concerns about the osteoporosis and/or the treatment. People ain't just a wolfing when they say old age isn't for sissies.