What long strange trip it's been

debbiebobebbie

Distal RNY to DS
OH, my...finally! A WLS board with smart people! Glad to have found this place. Here's my story. I'll do my best to keep it short. In 1988, I had a VBG, weight loss, regain. 2007, RNY, weight loss, regain. 2010, diagnosed with a fistula after experiencing regain and pain. Lost my insurance, re-got my insurance,...then I decided on revision to DS. Insurance decided otherwise.

I had a revision from RNY to RNY Oct of 2014. Surgeon found an unusually short roux limb while in there. Didn't fix it but instead took me more distal. I don't understand his thinking, but...whatever. I can't think too hard about it or I just get pissed. I continue to be in pain, and vomit pretty much daily. Bile. Due to the short roux limb, I have bile reflux, and gosh does that suck.

Anyhow, I contacted a surgeon in Cali, one I'm sure you're all familiar with...his name rhymes with, well...nothing. He somehow,amazingly got my insurance company to approve my revision to DS with a BMI of 27. Like can you say woo hoo? I'm looking forward to a pain free, pukeless life. Surgery date is 5/28.

So, to sum it up, I'm a VBG to RNY to distal RNY to soon to be DS. Enjoying the reads. Thanks y'all.

Holy cow, you have been through the ringer! I hope the DS gets you straightened out. Surgery date will be here before you know it. Welcome!

Hi and welcome! I think I've "met" you someplace else, maybe OH? Not sure where. but glad you found us here.

I'm sorry you have been through so much. I know who your surgeon almost certainly is and you will be in good hands. Read the stuff from the other RNY to DS folks we have here, even though their stories aren't identical to yours. It's not an easy revision to go through, but it's worth it, esp wth the complications you continue to have.

Just curious why you wouldn't want to say who your surgeon is, even though we all know whom you are describing. Good luck - I'm sure he will put you right.

Welcome Debbie! So glad you have found Dr Keshishian!! I am positive it's him! He is wonderful surgeon who saved my life of misery! Let us know your date!! Who led you to this wonderful forum? I am so excited for you!!:welcomeboard::wahoooo:

Welcome Debbie! So glad you have found Dr Keshishian!! I am positive it's him! He is wonderful surgeon who saved my life of misery! Let us know your date!! Who led you to this wonderful forum? I am so excited for you!!:welcomeboard::wahoooo:

She said that her date is May 28. :D

Thanks all. I found this site just by digging on the web. I didn't mention Dr. K by name because...well, i guess I like to pretend this is all private and stuff. LOL. Like it's not on the WORLD wide web. That said, my experience so far is that Dr. Keshishian is a person before he is a surgeon, doesn't have a huge ego, and truly wants to help. Given my experience thus far, this is definitely a new thing for me. I can't wait to meet him in person and appreciate that bow tie up close :) So far, all of our contact has been online. I'll be traveling from NY for my surgery.

Good on you for finding the best of the best all on your own - and he is CLEARLY whom you need to be helping you. Dr. K was not my surgeon, but in working with him on a number of projects and meeting him in person, I would be fully confident of putting my life in his hands (which I hope to never have to do - but it's nice to have that info in my back pocket).

Welcome! So sorry to read about your pain and the extensive surgical background. I am a big fan of the DS as it changed my life dramatically for the better and I hope it does the same for you! Hang in there. You'll be in the best of hands! :)

Latest posts

Back