what I found out about needing a lawyer

Charris

Now an angel
So I found out how the process works in az. While on short term you apply for long term at least 45 days b4 short ends my end date is 10/18. Your case has to be processed by 45 days. Once you are on long term your job provides a lawyer to handle your ss case unless you refuse. The law says they have to and they really want to because they want you to win your ssso they dont have to pay you long term untill you reach ss age. As far as my retirement it doesn't count no one can touch it because i earned it. My cousin who worked with me just went through the process. She just got long approved and the attorney is working on the ss part now. So she's getting long term 1700 a month plus her retirement/pension. DianaCox Spiky Bugger Munchkin southernlady JackieOnLine hilary1617

Each state/each company is different. When hubby went on LTD, the company who has that policy with his company, was of NO help. I had been thru the process years earlier. I would have helped him thru the paperwork but I told hubby that to avoid my screwing his up, we found a SSD lawyer to do all the paperwork, even the initial set which most lawyers want the individuals to handle.

What hubby ended up with was a mix of LTD and his SS. The amount for LTD was reduced by the amount SS was paying. The nice thing his, his LTD is for life. If any remains after he passes and I’m still around, I get it until the amount of money is used up. Example (and these amounts are fictitious), if his LTD was $5000.00 a month and his SS was $2000, then his LTD was adjusted down to $3,000.00. But we also did his LTD after taxes so our monthly LTD payment is not taxable by state or federal.

It took hubby to win his after a denial and had to go in front of a judge. Being over 50 has advantages as it’s pretty much automatic. Medicare goes into affect either at 65 or 2 years after your initial date of disability. Since hubby was 49 when he was put on LTD, his went into effect at the 2 year mark...so did mine.

Good work. So...I think I’d want to consider getting my own employment/disability attorney because then MY needs...and not those of my STB former employer...would be most important. But I’m a skeptic raised by too many cops, attorneys and judges. See if you can find any online support groups of people who have been through that process....and your cousin’s thing...and read and read.

And, Mr Sue’s retirement, from a govt agency, is fully taxable. But he had disability payments...into the six figure category...that were NOT taxable.

Also, if you stay on as the employer’s disability problem, is your rate of disability pay frozen or subject to COLA increases or raises that are in your contract’s MOU? Asking because SS increases are teeny, tiny. And, if you stay on your employer’s books, will you be covered under THAT group insurance?

I don’t need the answers, but maybe you do.

I hope you get what you need, that's all.

(and I hope I never need any of this because I don't get it. )

Good luck! I applied for straight out SSDI and won it after an administrative hearing with a judge after almost 2.5 years after I applied. Texas has low approval rates but I was also around 36 and they definitely didn't want to be paying me SSDI for the rest of my life. I hired my own lawyer right from the beginning because it was too hard and too stressful for me. I am so glad you have long term disability paying you while you wait!

Latest posts

Back