What foods do you order when out and about?

LorettaLynn

Besides the Jimmyjohn Unwich with a pickle, what other sandwich shops can do a good high protein low carb meal for us? I had a bunless 5 Guys burger and it was just OK. I had 2 salads this week but only 1 was digestible. Chicken is still a bit hard for me to digest. Im a working gal who doesn’t cook much (I’m cooking much more post surgery of course). Also, for the iced tea drinkers, that is my beverage of choice and since surgery almost all iced tea tastes weird to me. What are you using for your iced tea? I use Splenda and try to go for decaf when it’s available.

Unfortunately chicken is my go to option. I love Canes, what I eat is two chicken fingers and a little bit of sauce it's 10 carbs total. Then most burgers I order with the bun but open face and normally only eat about 1/2 the bottom bun, or no bun at all. I get them on the plate or wrapped in lettuce. Next Chick-Fil-A has grilled chicken nuggets. If I go to a nicer restaurant I get steak or grilled fish. I haven't had any problems eating out, just took a while.

Chicken salad is about the only way I can eat chicken, unless its VERY soft and moist. Alice Springs Chicken at Outback. Applebees Fiesta Lime Chicken. Both with extra cheese and extra sauce on the side. Famous Daves, BRISKET, OMG. I ask for "very tender POINT slices" and I absolutely send food back now. I am very picky, and have favorite waiters who know me. Red Lobster, I get crab alfredo without pasta. So basically soup. Occasionally I can also eat a Caesar salad with extra cheese and double dressing.

Its all about the lube, baby. I have never needed to limit my carbs, because at almost 10 years out, I still cannot eat all my protein in food. If I try, I develop food aversion and stomach cramps.

Also, I ask for a take home container WITH my meal. I put half in immediately, because I never can eat it all. And I skip the sides. Or take a baked potato (or two) home. I cut it up and fry it with bacon the next day for Gus' dinner side.

Besides the Jimmyjohn Unwich with a pickle, what other sandwich shops can do a good high protein low carb meal for us? I had a bunless 5 Guys burger and it was just OK. I had 2 salads this week but only 1 was digestible. Chicken is still a bit hard for me to digest. Im a working gal who doesn’t cook much (I’m cooking much more post surgery of course). Also, for the iced tea drinkers, that is my beverage of choice and since surgery almost all iced tea tastes weird to me. What are you using for your iced tea? I use Splenda and try to go for decaf when it’s available.
I don't remember how far out you are, but do keep in mind that some things you liked pre-op will taste weird or be intolerable after surgery. I haven't found anything that I didn't eventually eat after a period of intolerance. Some things took longer to get back to tasting good. For iced tea, I like lime or orange juice for a bit of flavor in addition to Splenda or Stevia. Or try TruLime, TruOrange, etc for a bit of taste change since it's in little packets, it's portable and doesn't require the treatment of fresh fruit. Another thing you can do if you brew your own tea, is to put in a bag of herbal/fruit tea like Celestial Seasons.

I also have a Take Out Bag I take with me to all meals out. It has baggies, foil sheets, and various sized containers. I'm so cheap, I even have a container for my iced tea instead of leaving an almost full glass on the table. However, if I'm someplace with a little more class than a casual chain, I just order an appetizer or something less expensive. I agree with Sheanie that the moister the better. I have been known to spread butter on meats other than shrimp scampi or lobster. I love butter on my steak.

Wendy's chili works okay-ish (the hamburger chunks are kinda rough). Chili (both Texas Roadhouse and homemade) went down well. I have had ribeye a couple of times and that went down really well (not helpful for cheap lunches I know). Popeye's mashed potatoes with gravy was a lifesaver early on. I can't do chicken breast but have been able to tolerate a couple wings or a thigh. I can't do breading at all yet. I haven't had them at a restaurant yet but my go to for breakfast is a couple fried eggs and a couple strips of bacon (usually eaten in a couple of installments over about 45 minutes). Sausage is hit or miss. Some days I can get down a fair bit, yesterday I felt godawful after two patties. I've only eaten a hamburger once so far and I got it down (on thin sliced bread with cheese doused in ketchup, mustard and pickle relish to add moisture) but it wasn't a phenomenal experience and I haven't been in a hurry to have another.

When I am out an about I bring an insulated bag from home with proteins packed (yogurt, cheese, hard boiled egg, nuts, meat, etc.) and water. My daytime meals are mostly protein "snacks". I eat a more a "traditional" meal for dinner. I find it difficult to depend on fast food or restaurant options. It is typically a waste of money for me since I do not eat much of it.

As I get farther out I'm finding that I have more options. Still can do very little bread, rice, pasta, and other carby stuff. I did find out that I can do fresh pasta so it's a treat once every few months... YUM! :inlove:

Latest posts

Back