What do you use for "breading"?

I have used a variety of things for different breading applications. To avoid gluten I have used: Crushed Corn Chex, Gluten-free Bisquik, Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free All-purpose flour, and finally Udi's Gluten-free White Sandwich bread toasted and made into bread crumbs (this works really well for bread crumbs).

I find I can handle corn better than flour too, I use a little corn mean and Parmesan cheese for vegetables, fish, and meats and I do mean a little. I like to marinate things. I find that some oil, seasonings and a drop or two of hit sauce makes a tasty marinade and lessons my desire for breading.

I find I can handle corn better than flour too, I use a little corn mean and Parmesan cheese for vegetables, fish, and meats and I do mean a little. I like to marinate things. I find that some oil, seasonings and a drop or two of hit sauce makes a tasty marinade and lessons my desire for breading.
Yes, I'm a marinade junky, never was a fan of plain meat so everything gets jazzed up. I just like a piece of fried chicken sometimes :)
Findings so far:
Fried with pork rind coating turned out wayyyyy greasy
Fried with soy flour coating- equally greasy
Combo of pork rinds, Parmesan cheese and soy flour baked in the oven to try to avoid greasiness, turned out chokingly dry.
Back to the drawing board!

I like corn flakes as a topping. Yes there are sugars in it, so some carbs, but it is corn based rather than flour.

for baked chicken, I use boneless, skinless thighs (I prefer the moist dark meat). I dip them in a plate with a creamy salad dressing (like ranch or caesar, or you could use full fat mayo), then dredge in the crushed corn flakes. Bake in oven until internal temp reached. If in a hurry, I may throw the chicken right in the baking pan, pour the dressing on, then sprinkle the crushed cornflakes. rather than messing around with coating each piece.

for a topping on a casserole, I melt some butter in a bowl in the microwave, and stir in some crushed corn flakes. Spread these on top of the casserole, and bake in oven until the casserole is done. It gives a nice crunch, sweet, buttery crust. My favourite is on an egg/breakfast casserole, but would work for almost any kind where you want the crunch.

Once, in a pinch, I used Honey Nut Corn Flakes, and once, I used Bran Flakes. These worked fine, but I still prefer the good old fashioned corn flakes

I'm celiac so I make chicken parm with equal parts almond flour (bobs red mill), panko, and shredded Parmesan; add salt and pepper to season. I baste the chicken in dijonaise (hellmans mayo and Dijon mustard) first, then breading, then spray with olive oil (or Pam, I use a mister) and bake at 350 for 20 mins each side, toss a healthy slice of mozzarella on each piece and broil until it's melty, put it on a plate with a ladle of warm marinara sauce. Mine comes out very juicy, but may have to adapt to thighs when I get to the bench. Works great for little bites too, if you want to cut the chicken (or pork) into 1 inch cubes.

I have used crushed up French's fried onions. I used it like shake n bake. Dipped in egg (I've also used bbq sauce, yummo - and the dijionaise the another girl mentioned sounds good too) and then covered with the fried onions and bake on 375. SO good!!!

Taterweight, you star pre-op! These are fantastic suggestions, and, I didn't know you were celiac, we've been blabbing a storm about so many things. Just another reason you are going rock the DS.

Ah well, I haven't had a formal diagnosis - but I've cystic fibrosis in my family, and I'm a carrier. Somehow there's a link to celiac with that. My son is high functioning autistic, also, and I've found that a gluten-free diet definitely helps him a lot! I'm not always 100% but I do my best to steer away from wheat as much as possible!

I was waiting in line at the local family-owned specialty grocery (Sunset Foods) yesterday, and lo and behold, there was a display of tortilla chip crumbs being sold specifically as a breading substitute. They had a plain and lemon variety. One suggested use for the lemon variety was as a topping for yogurt. I didn't purchase any because my basket was already overflowing and I had only gone in to purchase milk for my kids. I will, however, check it out the next time I'm in for a full shopping trip...

I was waiting in line at the local family-owned specialty grocery (Sunset Foods) yesterday, and lo and behold, there was a display of tortilla chip crumbs being sold specifically as a breading substitute. They had a plain and lemon variety. One suggested use for the lemon variety was as a topping for yogurt. I didn't purchase any because my basket was already overflowing and I had only gone in to purchase milk for my kids. I will, however, check it out the next time I'm in for a full shopping trip...
Ooh, I stocked up on the soy fax seed tortilla chips from trader Joe's, never would've thought to use those (especially the crumbly bits from the bottom of the bag that usually go in the trash) thanks!

Latest posts

Back