What are some exercise I can doing in bed

Welcome! I'm so glad you are trying to gain strength and mobility.
You can do arm lifts and bicep curls with small weights. If you don't have the kind of weights a gym would have, you can start with cans of soup or other canned goods for weights and build up slowly from there. Does your bed have an overhead trapeze? If so, you can grab onto it and raise your upper body up as far as possible.
You can work on lifting your legs up as much as you can - the idea is to work against gravity.
If there any possibility that you could have a home visit from a physical therapist who could assess you and make more formal suggestions? I'm sure a professional in that field would have more ideas.
And I know this isn't what you asked, but losing some weight will have at least as much benefit as bed exercises, probably more. Again, having the input of a professional would be helpful. Folks here are "experts" in DS and other bariatric surgery approaches, but if you haven't (yet!) had bariatric surgery, a dietician could help.
And lastly, I would suggest searching on Youtube for videos that may have other ideas for people who are stuck in bed.

If there any possibility that you could have a home visit from a physical therapist who could assess you and make more formal suggestions
this is really a good idea even though you have to have a doctor's order to get Home Health PT it might be completely worth it. then the therapist would have your medical history and know if any kinds of exercise are contraindicated.

JackieOnLine makes a really important point. Some forms of exercise might be contraindicated, and we have no way of knowing this. Best to get a professional involved if at all possible.

Hi and welcome Wintergetsheathly ! I agree with the above recommendations to see out a physical therapist, or alternatively, an occupational therapist. In my mind, it would be wonderful to start off with safe exercises that would be specifically targeted at making everyday activities easier. Whatever you do, set yourself up for success by starting small and building up gradually from there. All the best!

Start small. Do more of whatever movements you can already do. Then do even more of them. Bargain with yourself. If you want to watch X on TV you have to do Y.

Latest posts

Back