Well, this is disturbing - vitamins and cancer

DianaCox

Bad Cop
After accounting for other factors that might increase the risk of recurrence or death, they found patients who took any antioxidant at the outset and during chemotherapy - including carotenoids, Coenzyme Q10 and vitamins A, C, and E - were 41% more likely to have their breast cancer return and 40% more likely to die during follow-up compared to patients using no supplements.

The findings were similar for most individual antioxidants taken before and during chemo, particularly vitamin A. But for the others, the results were not statistically significant, meaning the differences were too small to rule out the possibility they were due to chance. Ambrosone attributes this to the small numbers of patients taking these supplements.

Those taking B12 and iron supplements were at greater risk of recurrence and those results were statistically significant. Women taking B12 were 83% more likely to experience a recurrence and 22% more likely to die during follow-up compared to those who did not take those supplements. Women taking omega-3 supplements before and during chemo had a 67% higher likelihood of recurrence and those taking iron supplements were 79% more likely to experience a recurrence.

Previous research has suggested that iron “can play a role in both cancer initiation as well as promotion,” Ambrosone said.
~~~~~~~

I have always heard that extra vitamins feed cancer. I wonder if it holds true in our case if we need the vitamins. I would guess cancer might get the vitamins first before the rest of our body.

Spiky stole my response. The MAJORITY of people out there supplementing vitamins NEVER go by their lab levels. We do. Huge difference.

If you supplement BLINDLY, without reading your vitamin lab levels, as I suspect 99% of the studied group does, then, sure.

As in most studies (harkening back to the "butter is bad for you" crap studies) we dont fit. Because we are ahead of the rest of the herd. We know better.

Latest posts

Back