Well... Hello there!

Momzilla

Guess I should introduce myself.

Hey! Momzilla. 42 years old. Yes, I'm a mother. No, that's not my real name (my kids call me that though. lol). I live in Canada. I'm obese and considering having Gastric Bypass surgery or a Gastric Sleeve. Currently researching going down to Mexico because that's the most financially feasible option for me at this point in time. I could wait it out a few years here if my own family doctor was ever around to refer me for the surgery... and then of course, that's if he would even do that. He's a firm believer in "there's no shortcuts".... So, I'm skipping the wait and doing it without his help, if I can. Doctors are scarce where I am... can't even change to another if I wanted to.

I joined this forum because I'm hoping to get some advice on researching facilities and doctors. Feel free to share anything that might be useful to know, please. Right now, I'm completely in the dark. I know next to nothing. Not even sure if I should do the bypass over the sleeve or what?

Also, I know very little about the sites that will coordinate your travel and all that? I've read a bit about it and some say they had no issues, while others, horror stories.... So... is it best just to do it on my own? Or would it be easier with them?

So hey! Lots of questions, I know. I appreciate anyone that's read all this, let alone anybody who takes the time to respond. :)

Thanks bunches!

Hi Momzilla! I'm not Canadian, but I had my surgery (the DS, like most people here - I'll let someone else share their thoughts on the comparisons!) in Canada, with Dr Gagner in Montreal. With the currency exchange, worked out to be around the same as what Mexicali is, I think. (Either way, a lot cheaper than US options as a private patient paying in USD!)

There are absolutely 'shortcuts' if you mean 'shortcuts to a healthier, more active and happier life' - as opposed to endless unsuccessful dieting and health problems. I have been very open that I had surgery and there's no moral virtue in taking the 'harder' route to good health (though surgery recovery is no breeze).

You've found a very wise and frank community - welcome!

Last edited:
PS re travel, you absolutely do not need to use any services. The most you will probably need is maybe some assistance with luggage at the airport on the way home, and accommodation/hospitalisation is something the clinics themselves can advise on. Otherwise, it's a pretty regular trip. For instance, Mexicali collects people from San Francisco as part of the package. And Dr Gagner arranges several nights in a hotel and a private nurse for the second post-op night as part of the package.

Hi and welcome!
You absolutely do not need any of the so called travel coordinators. In fact, it's just an unnecessary additional expense. They don't search out the best surgeon for you, they have arrangements with specific surgeons ( with money going in one direction or another) and that's where they will send you. Don't waste your money, the office staff in Mexico can and will assist you with arrangements.
As harrietvane said, most folks here had the duodenal switch (DS), and I strongly recommend that you include this excellent option in your research. The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery not only for percentage excess weight loss, but also for maintenance of that weight loss, which is crucial. Many people struggle with weight regain after both sleeve and gastric bypass, and that's after not losing as much weight as they wanted to start with. The DS also has the best statistics for resolution of the major comorbidities as well - type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure.
There is a lot of good info on this website about post-op nutrition, vitamins, minerals, etc. I hope you'll read, read, read and make the most informed decision possible for yourself. Ask questions if you have them, people here are generally well informed and willing to help.

Hello & Welcome!

you got excellent info from HarrietVane and Larra, so I'll just say there is lots more where that came from: read all over the forum for information.

Currently researching going down to Mexico because that's the most financially feasible option for me at this point in time.

I had VSG in Mexicali and got excellent care. sadly, the surgeon I had is no longer alive but I've never heard anything bad about them. I assume it's the same place.

He's a firm believer in "there's no shortcuts"

he's just wrong about this, that's all.

Lots of questions, I know.
that's fantastic and so much better than someone who comes here to post, tells us nothing about themselves, and then says "which surgery should I get?" !!

most of the people here did have a DS and are very happy with their choice - I think we all agree it is a much better surgery than Rny for lots of reasons and the one to get if you need malabsorption, rather than a surgery that only provides restriction as VSG does. it was right for me, but not for everyone.

could you tell us more about your "dieting" history? I think one big reason VSG was enough for me is that I dieted as a teen but in my early 20s gave it up and then became obese, slowly over the years, without the ups and downs many people have from years of dieting and regaining. I didn't wreck my metabolism, in other words.

the more you can tell us, the better we can help you.

:rainbowwelcome:

I was looking at "A Lighter Me" and they're considerably cheaper. I have no plans to have a DS done at this time.

Thought I better be clear about the "no shortcuts" comment. This is entirely my Doctor's opinion. This is why I would love to find another one because I don't see it as a shortcut but rather a means to an end. Given my location (Northern BC) I don't have the luxury to be picky. We haven't got enough practicing GP's to go around here. Walk in Clinics are always busy with long wait times. My Doctor, unfortunately, equates everything wrong with me to being overweight and throws down a prescription slip with "myfitnesspal.com" written on it almost every time I go in for something.

Thanks for the welcome, by the way. I look forward to reading through as much as I can and getting as many different points of view as is possible so I can make an informed decision. Really appreciate that this forum exists. It seems like a non biased place to find advice. I like that.

:)

could you tell us more about your "dieting" history?

My dieting history.... I was what would be a considered a healthy BMI for most of my life until my 30's. I had my middle son and put on a lot of weight. After he was born, I joined Weight Watchers and lost all of it and then some but then a year later, as soon as I stopped following the plan, I piled it right back on again. When I was 35, I got pregnant again and this time, I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I put on a massive amount of weight within in the first 6 months. 50 lbs!!! After that, I ate like a diabetic and only gained another 20 lbs. Still, that was a lot of weight and it didn't go away. Of course, given my luck with WW before, I tried it again and I just didn't see the weight coming off like it did before.

Fast forward to now, my mom passed away in 2015 and I ate my feelings. Put on a bunch more weight... and tried counting calories using all sorts of different apps. I liked "myfitnesspal" and honestly, it was working alright but then someone mentioned they noticed I was getting bigger, and that their mom was giving away their old fat clothes, would I like them.... Which was soul crushing because I'd been losing weight and nobody was noticing it. It threw me off in one fell swoop. I'm still annoyed at myself over how easily I let that get to me.

Since then, I've been on again, off again dieting. I'll get motivated enough to start but see little progress and it puts me off.

My weight now is around 235 lbs. Most of my life I hovered around 130 lbs to 145 lbs. Yo-yoing from the time I was 30 to now and every time I diet, I put all the weight back on, and then some. It's the classic dieting story... and I hate it. I am in terrible shape. Can barely go up a flight of stairs without losing my breath, all my joints ache, I am so tired all the time, and I just feel a heck of a lot older than 42.

As @harrietvane said, most folks here had the duodenal switch (DS), and I strongly recommend that you include this excellent option in your research.

Well.... alright. I guess I'll take a look into that. lol. Honestly, I'd never even heard of it before but from what I have been reading on it so far, it looks like a great option.

Hi and welcome Momzilla!

Wishing you all the best on your journey.

For my friends and family I only recommend either VSG or the traditional two anastomoses DS.

I recommend VSG for those who don't need malabsorption - that is folks who aren't high BMI (say 50 pounds or less to lose) and have an easy time of dieting and keeping it off, but just need a jump-start on a bigger, lifelong diet.

I recommend the traditional two anastomoses DS to anyone who has trouble with regain after dieting and is ready, willing and able to be compliant with DS after-care, basically able to take extra vitamins and protein for a lifetime.

For me a pouch and blind stomach and loss of the function of the pyloric valve rule out gastric bypass, and think that lap bands should be illegal given the low weight loss success and high rate of reoperation due to damage and slipping of the band. I admire individuals willing to risk disappointment or unknown effects with experimental surgeries, and surgeries without significant long-term data available but don't recommend them to loved ones.

Many people have had excellent experiences in Mexico, but with very specific doctors. No need for travel arrangers - they are just an additional cost with little value. What is important is that you go to the best "vetted" surgeon possible; one who has a great reputation and lots of experience with the procedure.

All the best!
Hilary a.k.a. Momster

My Doctor, unfortunately, equates everything wrong with me to being overweight and throws down a prescription slip with "myfitnesspal.com" written on it almost every time I go in for something.
this is bad medicine and really makes me angry :mad:

Really appreciate that this forum exists. It seems like a non biased place to find advice. I like that.

back before and for years after I had surgery, I hung out on a weight loss surgery forum that would TAKE DOWN bad reviews of surgeons that advertised on their site. I hate that! this place is the real deal and lots of smart people here.
I am in terrible shape. Can barely go up a flight of stairs without losing my breath, all my joints ache, I am so tired all the time, and I just feel a heck of a lot older than 42.
:frown:
I hope you can get what you need and soon!

No one has mentioned it, but I was pretty uncomfortable for the first week after surgery. If you do go to Mexico try to stay put for at least a week before traveling

If you do the sleeve, you can always do the mal absorptive ds part afterwards... really it is cutting two different parts of the digestive track.. The sleeve resects the stomach, the ds reroutes the intestines

The gastric bypass is very different... for one it cuts out the pyloric valve at the bottom of your stomach. Once done, you really can't do anything else without a good deal of trouble

Latest posts

Back