Well Hello Everyone.... I'm RnY to SIPS Revision

Seabreeze06

Hee Hee thought that would catch someone's eyes! I am new to your site, and am looking forward to all the information you all have for the masses. I am just beginning the process for approval for a revision and I don't know much about this new DS procedure called SIPS so seeking some knowledge and hopefully some buddies on this new journey of mine!

Welcome, @Seabreeze06
Getting back your pyloric valve is gonna be awesome. What made you decide on the SIPS vs the DS?

BTW, it's not a new DS procedure but it may be a new RNY replacement. I hope so...people who keep their pyloric valve don't dump anywhere close to the same rate as the RNY. More like 2-5% versus 30%.

Welcome, @Seabreeze06
Getting back your pyloric valve is gonna be awesome. What made you decide on the SIPS vs the DS?

BTW, it's not a new DS procedure but it may be a new RNY replacement. I hope so...people who keep their pyloric valve don't dump anywhere close to the same rate as the RNY. More like 2-5% versus 30%.
I didnt decide to be honest my surgeon suggested it, so I am doing some research before agreeing and or making some suggestions.

Welcome. If YOU'RE going to get a revision make sure you find out the difference between sips and a ds. The sips is not a Ds. Glad you found us

I didnt decide to be honest my surgeon suggested it, so I am doing some research before agreeing and or making some suggestions.
Is your surgeon part of the SIPS study? Make sure you see all paperwork and know exactly what you are agreeing to.

Are you self pay or covered by insurance? Does the insurance company cover the SIPS.

Just keep asking questions. We will do our best to find the answers.

Hi and welcome!

the surgeon you have named in your profile is not known to be a DS surgeon. Or maybe that's who did your old RNY, and you are seeing a different surgeon now?
One of the things we're seeing now is that some RNY surgeons are starting to do the SIPS on at least some of their patients. While we think the results from SIPS will be better than RNY, and it will avoid some of the miserable side effects of RNY, it is still an experimental procedure and long term results are unknown. Also, while it's slightly less complex to do than the DS, you are looking at RNY to something (SIPS or DS) revision, which either way is going to be a very complex procedure. It will require a complete reversal of your RNY back to the original anatomy, and THEN doing either SIPS or DS from scratch. SIPS has one less anastomosis (bowel to bowel connection) but the one that isn't needed is the easiest part of the whole operation. All the challenging stuff is part of either operation.
So what I'm trying in my long winded way to say is that you need a surgeon who is very experienced with revision of RNY to DS, not just someone who does a ton of RNY surgery, not someone new to SIPS and/or DS.

Is your surgeon part of the SIPS study? Make sure you see all paperwork and know exactly what you are agreeing to.

Are you self pay or covered by insurance? Does the insurance company cover the SIPS.

Just keep asking questions. We will do our best to find the answers.
My surgeon is Dr Jon Micheal Bruce, with Bariatric Surgeons of NC. I am seeking to use my insurance and whether they cover or not has been a recent rumor regarding BCBSNC not covering the SIPS procedure now, but earlier they were, so that may not be an option for me if that is the case. As to whether he is a part of a SIPS study, I am not sure, but I have gathered lots of information and questions to ask on our next meeting.

Thank you for your support.

Hi and welcome!

the surgeon you have named in your profile is not known to be a DS surgeon. Or maybe that's who did your old RNY, and you are seeing a different surgeon now?
One of the things we're seeing now is that some RNY surgeons are starting to do the SIPS on at least some of their patients. While we think the results from SIPS will be better than RNY, and it will avoid some of the miserable side effects of RNY, it is still an experimental procedure and long term results are unknown. Also, while it's slightly less complex to do than the DS, you are looking at RNY to something (SIPS or DS) revision, which either way is going to be a very complex procedure. It will require a complete reversal of your RNY back to the original anatomy, and THEN doing either SIPS or DS from scratch. SIPS has one less anastomosis (bowel to bowel connection) but the one that isn't needed is the easiest part of the whole operation. All the challenging stuff is part of either operation.
So what I'm trying in my long winded way to say is that you need a surgeon who is very experienced with revision of RNY to DS, not just someone who does a ton of RNY surgery, not someone new to SIPS and/or DS.

Yes, on another post I got the same response regarding my surgeon, and I have resigned myself that depending on his conversation on our next meeting that I may have to change surgeons.

Yes, on another post I got the same response regarding my surgeon, and I have resigned myself that depending on his conversation on our next meeting that I may have to change surgeons.
Hi, and welcome!

I will add that changing surgeons isn't a big deal. I changed surgery types (RNY to DS), and surgeons at the very last minute and it was no big deal since all the requirements for the surgeries were the same, so the new surgeon just asked for my records and it was all transferred. And looking back 7+years, I'm so glad I did.

Latest posts

Back