Weird Sleep Patterns seem to CAUSE obesity, etc.

My sleep pattern has been fucked up for decades. I spent many years working third shift, swing shifts. I go to bed on time but going to sleep is very much an issue as the demented hamsters in my brain start running on their wheel.

My sleep pattern has been fucked up for decades. I spent many years working third shift, swing shifts. I go to bed on time but going to sleep is very much an issue as the demented hamsters in my brain start running on their wheel.
Yup. I worked one place where most of us had 4 days on, 2 days off, on a particular shift.

But one already-crazy-coming-in-the-door boss had “relief shift.” His first night was 11 pm-7 am. His second shift was 3 pm-7 am the next morning. His third day was 3 pm - 11 pm.

So, if he started on Friday night at 11 pm, he worked 8 hours, and his time off was eight hours—to commute, eat and sleep...shit, shower, shave. He had to be back at work at 3 pm on Saturday, but didn’t get off until 7 am on Sunday, after working 16 hours. Then, he had from 7 am Sunday until 3 pm Sunday, to commute, eat and sleep, etc.

He was cranky...and (legally) armed.

Thanks for sharing. This makes perfect sense consider my son's condition, Cushing's disease, which is basically a disease of high cortisol at night (when it should be highest during the day) - obesity and high blood pressure are key symptoms. Unbelievable insomnia was his first symptom (onset age 9)....

I worked 3rd shift for decades. I can tell you for sure people do eat to stay awake. Personally I don't blame any of my fat on the night shift. I have always preferred being up late and I will do anything to avoid morning and alarm clocks. Left to my own devices I have found that I will usually sleep from 2 or 3am till 10am.

I worked 3rd shift for decades. I can tell you for sure people do eat to stay awake. Personally I don't blame any of my fat on the night shift. I have always preferred being up late and I will do anything to avoid morning and alarm clocks. Left to my own devices I have found that I will usually sleep from 2 or 3am till 10am.
But, then left to your own devices, you would have a regular sleep pattern, right?

I think the bouncing around is what hurts. When MrSue and I were young and MiniSue was pre-school age, we mostly lived HIS work schedule. But then, the damned kid was school age, “day shift,” and he was still “swing shift” and I got crazy trying to exist on both schedules at the same time.

But, then left to your own devices, you would have a regular sleep pattern, right?

I think the bouncing around is what hurts. When MrSue and I were young and MiniSue was pre-school age, we mostly lived HIS work schedule. But then, the damned kid was school age, “day shift,” and he was still “swing shift” and I got crazy trying to exist on both schedules at the same time.
I agree with you completely. I always though the rotating shift thing was the worst!

Latest posts

Back