Weight loss meds after surgery!

Ronlih

Hello All!

I was just wondering if anyone has taken weight loss medication after having bariatric surgery?! I had VSG in March and lost about 50 lbs in four months which was super exciting. Though, I haven't lost any weight since mid-July. My 6month post-op doctor suggested that I start taking Saxenda because Wegovy is on back order tool January. I started at 250 and have been sitting at 200-202 for three months.

I guess my question is, has anyone else taken weight loss medication after having surgery? I feel pretty disappointed! Yes, fifty pounds is something to be proud of, but I feel like I lost 70-80% of my stomach, and now I need to take medication. Wtf! I'm just frustrated because I'm following my plan so I'm not sure why I'm not losing any weight anymore.

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Most people decide to revise from the VSG to the DS when the VSG fails them. Have you considered a revision?

Spiky Bugger

Sometimes, the weight loss stalls for a while and then resumes. You have to decide how much more time you want to give the VSG.

But then, was It the right solution for YOUR problem? A 6’2” person wanting the VSG because s/he needs to lose 50-60 lbs is an ENTIRELY different problem than a 5’2” person who needs to lose 100-150 lbs. Sleeve might work on the tall person. On the short person, the sleeve will help at first, but a stall, and then a regain would NOT be at all unusual.

As southernlady mentioned, many VSG people go for a revision to the full DS. If that’s you, you’re in a good place. It is EVERSOMUCH easier for a skilled surgeon to “turn the VSG” into the full DS. In fact, sometimes surgeons proceed that way intentionally, which we discussed here:
https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/revising-to-ds-11-11-22.16110/#post-121323

Georgepds

Re.. "But then, was It the right solution for YOUR problem? A 6’2” person wanting the VSG because s/he needs to lose 50-60 lbs is an ENTIRELY different problem than a 5’2” person who needs to lose 100-150 lbs. Sleeve might work on the tall person."
Ah go on Spiky... you are dangerously close to saying VSG works for low BMI obesity, and DS for high BMI.... you did mention both excess weight and height ;)

Spiky Bugger

Re.. "But then, was It the right solution for YOUR problem? A 6’2” person wanting the VSG because s/he needs to lose 50-60 lbs is an ENTIRELY different problem than a 5’2” person who needs to lose 100-150 lbs. Sleeve might work on the tall person."
Ah go on Spiky... you are dangerously close to saying VSG works for low BMI obesity, and DS for high BMI.... you did mention both excess weight and height ;)
I did…because if someone has VSG to lose a stubborn 50#, that’s been there forever and isn’t actively gaining, and doesn’t get crazy post-op, it has been known to work. I don’t know how much weight JackieOnLine needed to lose and how it worked for her, but I don’t think I’ve heard her complain! And I have another friend who isn’t here, it went from band to VSG and is a happy camper. But she wasn’t as heavy as I was. (I think my top BMI was about 53. I was never a good candidate for the band, which I got anyway. And I’m pretty sure the VSG would not have been a choice, either.)

But my sister, 5’2” (on a good day) probably weighs well over 300#. The VSG helped her lose about…I dunno…70-80# and regain 100#.

Did I do bad?

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
JackieOnLine has managed to maintain her weight loss with the VSG but typically it doesn’t happen that way. For most VSGers, regain is pretty much a given cause they actually needed the malabsorption as well.