Week 4 post op check in and Italy..

Jacks39

Hi All!
It’s offically 1 month since my DS with Rabkin and it’s been interesting. I admit I’ve had my struggles. Struggled with fluids, with protein drinks and with low energy. Had a little stint in the urgent care with a lovely bag of fluids. Dang it I planned to be the perfect patient!
Doing better now with fluids and I’m hitting my 30 grams of protien and working up to the 60.
I weighed in at 248 the day of surgery and I was 217 today.
Italy!!!!!
So, my mother has offered to take the whole family to Italy this June. My oldest will have just graduated high school. Im wondering will I be ready? Will I be able to get the protein I need? Will I get over tempted by pizza and gelato and stop losing? Too risky or go for it? I’m hoping I’ll feel well enough. I’m still spending half the day in bed at this point. My guess is it will be fine, but wanted feedback or experiences!
Thanks!

You will be fine. Unless you are going to be gone for months, just enjoy the trip and don't worry about it. Choose protein whenever you can but eat the gelato too. You will lose weight while you are there because your activity level will be high!

Thanks Munchkin!
I’ve spent so much of my life saying no, sitting it out, staying at home..etc.
I think it’s time to start saying yes to life...how uncomfortable and exciting!

You will be ready! I eat ice cream every day. Eat gelato. It takes a while to recover, it really was 7 months before I felt back to me. And 13 montrhs until I was really done recovering, but did not stop me from doing anything.

I am 3 months out from my DS and literally feel better every week. Go, have a wonderful time, drink lots of fluids, and walk. Enjoy your trip!

And - if you're eating at a decent restaurant, ask if their pasta is fresh. I traveled to Europe at 1 year out with my daughter, sharing a bedroom - I discovered that FRESH pasta, in amounts that allowed me to eat my protein too, did NOT give me horrendous gas. I think it's because it has not been chilled since being rehydrated. ENJOY yourself - you won't be there forever, and any "damage" you do will be temporary.

Latest posts

Back