We need to KEEP eating a lot of protein

DianaCox

Bad Cop
https://considerable.com/protein-benefits-aging-older-adults/

Older adults need to eat more protein-rich foods when they’re trying to lose weight, dealing with a chronic or acute illness, or facing a hospitalization, according to a growing consensus among scientists.

During these stressful periods, aging bodies process protein less efficiently and need more of it to maintain muscle mass and strength, bone health, and other essential physiological functions.

Even healthy seniors need more protein than when they were younger to help preserve muscle mass, experts suggest. Yet up to one-third of older adults don’t eat an adequate amount due to reduced appetite, dental issues, impaired taste, swallowing problems, and limited financial resources.
~~~~~~~~
I’m having a hard time finding myself being drawn to eating protein myself. I just ordered a box of Omaha steaks for the first time. I waited until I got a good deal, but they damn well getter be good - for some reason, very tender steaks are the only protein thing that sounds good to me these days.

But pizza always sounds good.

Go to realfoods.com and order something! Use the code rebel and get 4 pints of Rebel Ice Cream free! I got the enchiladas. The food is high protein and low carb. Only good for 48 hours!

Yet up to one-third of older adults don’t eat an adequate amount due to reduced appetite, dental issues, impaired taste, swallowing problems, and limited financial resources.
~~~~~~~~

or they live in a "skilled" nursing facility and breakfast is pancakes and fruit. :frown:

very tender steaks are the only protein thing that sounds good to me these days.

is this new, Diana? it seems to me you used to be enthusiastic about a lot of ...well, high fat food is what I am remembering.

Yep, malnutrition among seniors is much more common that thought to be. FWIW, we've received Omaha meat packages for presents. Their meat is fantastic, the sides not so much. But I guess it sells better to have a *complete* package. I trust you'll have no problems.

Whenever I think about seniors and protein, I think about my grandma. Usually the only thing I ever saw her eat was toast and black coffee. That's what she lived on. She cooked for everyone and made wonderful meals but seldom ate them. She would always say she tasted while she was cooking. And she was fat. Classic round, short, grandma body. Then when I was a kid I worked in a nursing home. Carb city! But they served what the patients wanted to eat. Fruit, cereal, bread, and anything sweet. I think many people eat this stuff because it is easy! I often took home all the leftover meat they were going to throw away. I knew when I was 14 many seniors are protein deficient. And it was a convent/Catholic(Franciscan) nursing home. They had good food!

Remember that picture of the first DSer on dshess? I think he was mid 70's when it was taken. If I ever got the chance to meet him, I was going to ask if he had a harder time getting his protein as he got older.

My mom's diet as she aged was horrid. Her teeth were a mess. She lived in a LTC due to her psychiatric problems. I was somewhat appalled at her intake, but eventually said if that is the one area she still has control of and likes what she eats, it's OK by me. She had long since disappeared into her schizophrenia/multi-infarct dementia that she was my mom in body only. Maybe if she had better mental capacity, I might have cared more. I really don't give a shit if that makes me a neglectful daughter, I just wanted to see her have pleasure in one area of her life.

My mom's diet as she aged was horrid. Her teeth were a mess. She lived in a LTC due to her psychiatric problems. I was somewhat appalled at her intake, but eventually said if that is the one area she still has control of and likes what she eats, it's OK by me. She had long since disappeared into her schizophrenia/multi-infarct dementia that she was my mom in body only. Maybe if she had better mental capacity, I might have cared more. I really don't give a shit if that makes me a neglectful daughter, I just wanted to see her have pleasure in one area of her life.

Makes perfect sense to me. I used to hate it when relatives would come to visit and talk about how the patient couldn't eat this or that, couldn't do this or that. As far as I was concerned, the patient should do and eat what they please. I mean...OMG the poor guy is 98 and already sick. Can't do anything he wants to do. Has limitations all over the place. And you want to take away everything he can still enjoy!

Just moved my dad into a Soldiers' Home in MA before Thanksgiving and then moved him again a week ago cross country to Silverado Memory Care down the street from where I live in IL. Every single lunch and dinner at both facilities is served with a dessert - there's no shortage of sugar in diets for the elderly, that's for sure! Plus, my dad got a severe gout flare-up shortly after arriving at the Soldiers' Home, which he hadn't had in years, I think largely due to the change in diet. The Soldiers' Home food was very salty compared to home-cooking. Silverado seems to be a bit more balanced in terms of seasoning and offers a wider variety of entrees.

I need to step up my protein. Thanks for the reminder!

Added to this is the current osteoporosis recommendation to eat less protein. Um, nope.

My mother had stroke induced swallowing issues. My 92 yo MIL has this now. Pneumonia from that. She has texture problems. But she loves my smoked brisket and pork. Also, smoked trout.

“But she loves my smoked brisket and pork. Also, smoked trout.”

Sounds like she’s getting in good protein!

I go through phases with protein - but when I’m not craving it for days in a row, I get worried. I didn’t have this issue often earlier out - in fact, for years, it was one of the best things about the DS - I was hungry for the RIGHT foods and didn’t have to force myself to eat things I didn’t want. Now, I sometimes have to eat what I should, rather than what I want - or when I don’t really want to eat at all. Who’d have thunk there would be times I didn’t WANT to eat?

I just ran into this link on another forum and thought of a question for all you smart folks.

Gut bacteria tell the brain what animals should eat

keeping in mind we are all animals, doesn't it seem like your microbiome can only tell you the right things to eat if IT is healthy?

in other words, if you have terrible gut bugs (no matter if it's from being sick or from a lifetime of poor eating choices or whatever) can you rely on them to "want" the right things?

I just ran into this link on another forum and thought of a question for all you smart folks.

Gut bacteria tell the brain what animals should eat

keeping in mind we are all animals, doesn't it seem like your microbiome can only tell you the right things to eat if IT is healthy?

in other words, if you have terrible gut bugs (no matter if it's from being sick or from a lifetime of poor eating choices or whatever) can you rely on them to "want" the right things?

Unfortunately...I have discovered that the bad stuff in our bodies can ALSO send signals to the brain. That is to say, I usually figure out that I’m craving sugar at the same time I realize that I’m developing candidiasis...oral thrush, crotch rot and/or itchy skin. Yeast loves sugar...thrives on it.

However, once in a while, I’m bright enough to remember that when I think I’m hungry, my body wants protein.

https://considerable.com/protein-benefits-aging-older-adults/

Older adults need to eat more protein-rich foods when they’re trying to lose weight, dealing with a chronic or acute illness, or facing a hospitalization, according to a growing consensus among scientists.

During these stressful periods, aging bodies process protein less efficiently and need more of it to maintain muscle mass and strength, bone health, and other essential physiological functions.

Even healthy seniors need more protein than when they were younger to help preserve muscle mass, experts suggest. Yet up to one-third of older adults don’t eat an adequate amount due to reduced appetite, dental issues, impaired taste, swallowing problems, and limited financial resources.
~~~~~~~~
I’m having a hard time finding myself being drawn to eating protein myself. I just ordered a box of Omaha steaks for the first time. I waited until I got a good deal, but they damn well getter be good - for some reason, very tender steaks are the only protein thing that sounds good to me these days.

But pizza always sounds good.

First, the excuses: I currently have three compression-fractured vertebrae AND three broken ribs. (I must be fun to watch.). So, I’m especially not up for cooking. However, I’m even MORE not up for going out very often. So, back to “cooking.” More or less.

AND, Mr. Sue is reluctant to leave me alone because I cannot bend over to pick stuff up from the floor and
I’m usually just loaded enough to try something stupid.

Anyway, we’ve used Schwans.com a couple of times lately. Too salty but everythng is too salty.

I can nuke one of these, https://www.schwans.com/products/product?id=58324&c1=10428. And in 5 minutes have 38g of protein. And, with 50% off for new customers, the cost is $2.25. That’s pretty good.

Mr. Sue likes the chili. With tne newbie discount, it costs $2.12. https://www.schwans.com/products/product?id=59124&c1=10430. He also liked the chicken with veggies, and penne w/marinara sauce.

We are not picky eaters, so don’t count on our reviews, but we liked the chicken breasts, the pork chops and the cod. I can’t get a 50% off deal anymore. Maybe I can con my sister into ordering on my behalf? That’s only a tad dishonest, right?

Latest posts

Back