Want to know how to contact a member

nedsmehlp

I was reading previous posts from months ago and came across Barb1 that had a DS revision with the surgeon I will be having it with. Then I saw she had a surgery with Dr K to correct the DS revision she had. I would like to contact her and find out what happened with her revision before I have that Dr do my revision. Is there any way to contact her? I am really concerned now. Any help would be appreciated!

Look under the members tab up at the top. Go there. Search for her in the search box on the left side of the page. Or you can go to the post and click on her name. Look for a PM option and you can message her.

Look under the members tab up at the top. Go there. Search for her in the search box on the left side of the page. Or you can go to the post and click on her name. Look for a PM option and you can message her.
Actually the PM option is called 'Start a Conversation' but yeah, what Munchkin said.

I haven't heard from Barb in months so hopefully you can reach her. If you PM her it should email her on the email address that she signed up with. I get notifications that way but not sure if that was an option I had to select or if it defaults to that setting.

What type of revision are you having?

Oh...here's what Barb wrote:

Hi Jill and welcome! I am a VBG to DS revision. I check this forum everyday and have been following this thread. I hesitate to reply only because I seem to say the wrong things. My VBG was done in 1999 with the marlex band. It was bad from the beginning and I spent years throwing up. I lost about 80 pounds and of course gained it all back plus more. In 2010 I knew I was in trouble and had to have something done. My marlex band was breaking down and ripping at the top. All of the people here (I have followed the vets where ever they go) tried to help and gave me all the information I needed. I could not afford Dr.Keshishian or Rabkin. I tried Dr Anthone who wouldn't do it. Dr Kemmeter wanted to do an ERNY. I was checking into Hasted but Thank god I listened and left that one alone. I ended up with Dr. Bernsten in Topeka Kansas. I did not heal right from that surgery (I won't blame her because it could have just been my body) I ended up with scar tissue that wrapped itself around my sleeve in the center and a kink or pinched off area in the intestines. In September 2013 I ended up with Dr. K doing the repairs needed. He is a wonderful doctor with the best bedside manor you could ever ask for. It has been a hard road for recovery but I am doing well now and bringing all my Vitamin levels and protein levels up. I few are still not quite in range but they are getting there. I forgot to mention that being older I believe it is harder to heal. By the way Dr. Bernsten did remove all the Marlex band but when Dr. K went in there some how he found what he thought was a piece of it attached to my liver which he was able to remove. I can say I only wish I could have found a way to go to Dr. K in the beginning. The only way it was possible last year is some money my husband inherited. It was just enough to do what needed to be done. I wish you all the the luck in the world for a healthy and happy outcome!

Thanks for all your help. I did PM Barb1 and she has replied to me. I know she doesn't blame Dr. Bernsten, but I guess I'm a little leery now. DSRiggs, I am having a revision from a VSG to DS. I think I will have to find out more about my surgeon.

You are having a very different "revision" than Barb. She had a band removed -- a band which had caused damage. You are just adding the intestinal switch part to your existing sleeve. You already have half the DS. All you need is a surgeon who can do a proper DS based on the Hess method. (I know nothing about Bernsten.)

Side note: I think we should have different categories of "Revisions" on here. A VSG to DS revision is nothing like a RNY to DS revision. Adding a switch to an existing sleeve is EASY; removing a band and creating a DS is HARDER; reversing a RNY and creating a DS is HARDEST. Any DS surgeon can do the first, most can do the second, but less than a handful in this country can do the difficult RNY/DS revision.

@nedsmehlp Dr. Bernsten is a well known, experienced DS surgeon who can definitely add the switch part of the DS to what you already have. The operation Barb had is notorious for being difficult to revise to anything else because of the terrible scar tissue around the stomach from the mesh (or other stuff) that has to be removed. The operation she had isn't even being done any more because of the complications it caused and poor results. Of course you should discuss your concerns with your surgeon but your situation is completely different from hers.

Side note: I think we should have different categories of "Revisions" on here. A VSG to DS revision is nothing like a RNY to DS revision. Adding a switch to an existing sleeve is EASY; removing a band and creating a DS is HARDER; reversing a RNY and creating a DS is HARDEST. Any DS surgeon can do the first, most can do the second, but less than a handful in this country can do the difficult RNY/DS revision.
We will AT some point but not yet. :)

Latest posts

Back