VSG to GB for GERD

jean_pa

Hello
I was sleeved in April of 2014. I lost 70lbs within the first 6 mo and then nothing more. Ive had issues with vomiting, reflux and waking up choking for about two years now. I have also regained about half of what i lost.
I first went to my dr about the weight gain and he suggested DS. My insurance denied the procedure because it is a self-insured plan and has to be done at tier one facility within my healthcare system. However none of those doctors perform the procedure. It sounds like a no-brainer that they would have to approve it elsewhere. I️ have exhausted all of my appeals and they won’t budge. I have emailed with Diana and Larra extensively about this.
Fast forward a year and after having a ct scan done for something unrelated, my dr said my sleeve has moved and is pushing into my esophagus which is why I vomit, have horrible heartburn and wake up choking on whatever i last ate or drank. He is now recommending that I convert the sleeve to a gastric bypass to correct the problem. He said if left untreated there is the potential for it to move further up and I would not be able to swallow.
I am 50-50 on this because I was excited about the possibility of the DS for the long-term benefits of keeping the weight off. However I am also relieved that I could get the bypass done at one of the tier one hospitals and my insurance will cover it. Just wondering if anybody else had this problem and what your results were.
Thanks
Jean

hello, Jean

never heard of a sleeve moving, that's a scary thought. :eek: I'm going to guess a DS is the better option since you are already on the way there - changing to Rny is a step backwards, feels like.

I hope you get what you need!

I would see if you can talk to Bonanni or Antanavicius for a second opinion - if by "moved" he means a hiatal hernia, that can be fixed without converting to the sleeve.

A properly formed (or revised) sleeve, including hiatal hernia repair if needed, is far less likely to cause acid reflux. A DS is curative of bile reflux. RNY is NOT the definitive treatment for reflux in sleeved patients. And the DS STILL has the best results for resolution of morbid obesity and comorbidities, plus you retain normal stomach function and your pyloric valve (instead of a stoma).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26110129

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23803250

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25769402

I have an appt with the doctor at Crozer. Dr Tohamy. From all I’ve read the bypass is the best cure for the symptoms i am having. I’m trying to keep an open mind and see what this dr says. But i have complete confidence in all of the Abington docs. So if Bonanni and Dr G think this is best then I’m sure it is. However, they are focusing on curing gerd- not additional weight loss.
I have an appt 1/24 w Tohamy. I would think I’ll need an upper GI and endo before they can be certain

Just an FYI - I had RNY and acid reflux. You need to look up the success rate of RNY patients and read all the postings from individuals who have regained after RNY and want a DS before you agree to an RNY. I also second the idea of consulting with Dr. K. or Rabkin.

Just an FYI - I had RNY and acid reflux. You need to look up the success rate of RNY patients and read all the postings from individuals who have regained after RNY and want a DS before you agree to an RNY. I also second the idea of consulting with Dr. K. or Rabkin.
Because of my insurance i can only have the procedure done at the tier one facility. So going to all of these people isn’t helpful. I have an appt with the doctor where i can have it done. I’m a nurse at that hospital so i trust he will give me the correct info. If i question it, I’ll refer back to Bonanni.
I appreciate all of the info... i am looking for anyone who may have had the same problem and had the bypass done after the sleeve.
I think it’s great that all of you with the DS have so much success and are so passionate about the procedure. You are a strong support group for each other. It was something I was considering until the appeals were shot down. Everything happens for a reason.
This doctor is going to start doing DS so i am interested to see what he suggests. Not that i want to be his guinea pig but am curious to see which way he steers me after Bonanni’s office suggested bypass.

Personally, I would change jobs or self-pay before I would submit to an RNY. But that’s just my opinion. I’d at least try to get a second opinion from one of those surgeons before doing so. It wouldn’t be that expensive, especially if they could do it remotely.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back