VSG long term

My husband is one of those naturally thin, self-regulating types. He stresses- he doesn't eat. I can't compute. I'm not complaining, but I wish I had his instincts/genes.
I know a few people like that, very few, but yeah, I wish aversion to food was my reaction to stress!

Hi! I am long term sleeve - since July 2011. I, too, have put on about 20 pounds from lowest this past year due to stress and poor choices. I have realized I am also not concentrating on protein like I used to. So need to get back on it.

I am so sorry for all the stressors everyone has had as well. Maybe we can all help each other!

Hi Jackie,

I think being able to figure out what works best for me now. I have read some of your other posts, and I, too, never went extremely low carb, even during my active weight loss. i think I just need to make a decision if I am going to try and actually go very low carb, get my gain off, or just go back to no processed foods, I think I prefer to do something that I think I can live with, but so far, have struggled all year.

Hi Jackie,

I think being able to figure out what works best for me now. I have read some of your other posts, and I, too, never went extremely low carb, even during my active weight loss. i think I just need to make a decision if I am going to try and actually go very low carb, get my gain off, or just go back to no processed foods, I think I prefer to do something that I think I can live with, but so far, have struggled all year.

I too do best with no processed, and no grains (save for a bite of a treat out, nice corn in season..) but most important- NO SUGAR. I keep some tiny potatoes/sweet potatoes in the house, and will eat fruit.. Ultra low carb/keto does work great to get gain off faster, but at least for me- the downside is the all or nothing BS. If I tell myself I absolutely cannot have xyz.. guess what?

My biggest help is: eat high fat with my protein.. and get my buttered veggies in too, keeping it naturally low carb. Getting back to sane(ish) for me means avoiding sugar. Sugar is the only thing that I've noted WILL trigger me to a binge-fest for days. If I can go out, have my fun and NOT do it two days running, I'm good. But if I go off the rails and don't immediately do a 180, it goes on far too long and turns into a struggle to tamp it down again.. it's always the same culprits every time, one would think I'd learn. o_O

I've been back to weighing 1x a week from 1x a month, and have been going down slowly recently. Fighting the urge to drop it faster.. but keeping things livable is best. I'm cool with a few lbs a month.. it's not a race!

Jo, thanks for the input. I think that's what I struggle with too. Sometimes, I think I'll go ultra low carb, then go off of it then I do nothing. So, that is why I decided to do some soul searching to try and figure what will work long term, not just a quick loss. Although, I would love to wake up tomorrow and have my gain magically gone! :)

Down deep, I do feel avoiding processed carbs is a long term answer for health. For example, I don't think bananas are what caused my weight gain, but more emotional eating and choosing Oreos, chips etc. My surgeon was always pro low carb. The NUT was pretty much calories in calories out. He wasn't quite as strict about "carbs", in fact, I have never been given a carb amount to eat, just protein. They did say avoid any food if sugar is in first three ingredients. Perhaps I will start following that rule as well.

It has been kinda comforting to see Im not the only one that has been more moderate carb, not low carb. I thought I was the only one.

Thanks again for all your responses.

Hi there...
I'm almost 5 yrs out from my VSG. I loved it then and I love it now but sadly it's not enough for me so I'm going for a revision to DS.
I lost about 110 lbs and in the last couple of years have put about 40 back on. I never did make it to goal. If I had and was only dealing with theregain, I would probably be able to get it off bt going back to basics...but with 80 lbs to lose, it's just not going to happen.
After having back surgery, and then being sick for a year not knowing what was wrong with me...turns out I was severely anemic (female issue related. Not WLS), and then having a hysterectomy followed by iron infusions...I finally felt alive again. I stopped being diligent about making sure I was eating enough protein, getting in enough fluids, and not limiting carbs enough.
Physically I am unable to do enough exercise to really make a difference. I just had another radiofrequency ablation yesterday of my facet joints and so I'm hoping I'll be able to start walking again at least.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what I do. What I eat, what I don't eat...I can't drop a lb. :(
Hence the revision. But I don't regret having the VSG for a second!

@star0210 You have my utmost sympathies! I bled like crazy from messed up female parts for ages before it finally dawned on me it was a real PROBLEM. I was still SMO and did not get good gyno care because of my size. It took going on Coumadin for lung/heart problems and having....well, you can imagine what it was like....that I got taken seriously about the issue and got the kind of diagnostic workup that should probably have happened years sooner. I was so glad to get rid of the whole shooting match.

Yeah I didn't even realize I was bleeding excessively. That wasn't even the reason I was having the hysterectomy! Sure glad I did though!
Sounds like it was a very good thing for you too!

Hey! If you don't want garden produce we'll take it. I have 6 VGN's (vegans) and 1 VSG here. I tolerate just about any produce (Chinese, Indian, etc.) LOL and we pick our own and grow our own.

I have no excuse. I have more garden produce than I've had in years. Lettuce has gone bad in the fridge

Hey! If you don't want garden produce we'll take it. I have 6 VGN's (vegans) and 1 VSG here. I tolerate just about any produce (Chinese, Indian, etc.) LOL and we pick our own and grow our own.
Our share ended in fall, but we now have a better idea how much produce we can, and can't use. We've considered splitting a share next time with someone nearby.

Latest posts

Back