Vitamins and DS long term

galaxygrrl

Hi all!

So I know I signed up to take vitamins long term with the DS and get my blood work done once a year. I'm two years out and don't need to take many vitamins.

But, then I read the post by a woman who had the DS 15 years and she needs to take a lot of vitamins. I only take 3 or 4. I know the vitamins you need to take get greater over time with the DS, but is it typical to have to take 15 a day 15 years out?

That seems like so many. And, it's all good if I get to stay thin and healthy. But just curious about my potential future.

As long as your labs are in stellar shape, don’t over worry. However, make sure you track your labs to be sure you catch trends before they get too bad.

What ^ said. I'm 10 years out and take way more than 3 or 4. That's me. You're you. The 15 year veteran is her. Mileage/weight loss varies and so does supplement requirements.

What ^ said. I'm 10 years out and take way more than 3 or 4. That's me. You're you. The 15 year veteran is her. Mileage/weight loss varies and so does supplement requirements.
\

So do you mind me asking how different were you vitamins at 2 years out.

Thanks

Beth

You do realize I'm old don't you? LOL

I really don't remember. It was probably close to what I'm taking today. It was definitely more than what my surgeon recommended. Yes, the dosages have varied, but the substances have pretty much remained the same.
This is a list:
  • Chewable Multiple
  • D3 25,000
  • Dry E
  • K2-45/Synergy
  • ProZyme/Panxyme
  • Regenemax/Regenanew*
  • OsteoOlive*
  • Vitamin K K1-1000
  • Bone Factor*
  • Floramax
  • 5-HTP
  • Stress B-Complex
  • Folic Acid
  • C-Lean Fiber#
  • Thea-Zen
  • Calcium Powder
  • Omega 3
  • Magnesium citrate
  • Iron
As you can imagine, I take a copy of my supplements when seeing a new doctor. The nurse was entering them at the endocrinologist office then gave up to do it later.

Some of these are not directly related the DS. It also doesn't include my prescriptions. Some of them will more than likely change once I get my first injection of Prolia, especially the amount of calcium since that was a factor to determine its efficacy.

* These are additional bone supplements that are obtained at my doctor's office. (I did, and still do, have reservations about going to a clinic that sells the stuff. As I've researched the contents, I find that some I can get elsewhere.)
# This is a soluble fiber from konjac root.

At 2 years out, I was taking:
2 doses/day of calcium citrate (2 pills/dose)
1 Prenavite (prenatal vitamin)
2 doses/day vitamin C
1 dose/day of zinc (added after the first year, I think)
2 doses/day of Primal Defense Ultra​

Over the years, I've added more and more things as needed.

I’m 4yrs out and take about 30 daily. I also maintain loss stupid easy, of course I’m not super far out. I need 100k of D and 100k of A daily, that’s 6 right there plus 8 calcium.
3-4 total daily seems unreal to me. Is your doc running full labs and are you actually seeing the results?

3-4 total daily seems unreal to me. Is your doc running full labs and are you actually seeing the results?

My doc is running full labs. She actually has the DS and Dr Rabkin reviews my labs. I take a mega multi designed for the DS, a D and a B and something called L-Carnitine

Thanks for sharing all

Actually I got on the full Vitalady list within three months after surgery. When I had my first post op labs, I dropped my E, A, Zinc, Copper, and all my B's.

Since then I have added some A back about 2 years ago but only 2 days a week.
Stopped oral iron about 3 years out cause I still needed iron infusions in spite of taking oral iron.

So yes, I am still taking more but we are each one different from the other. We just use the Vitalady list as the starting point these days cause it's easier to drop things for the most part than bring them up out of the toilet.

Amazed that you get away with so few!

Here's my latest. I'd like to do less, but I have a copper problem so need to take a lot. Also, rapidly descending DXA has me adding boron with each increased calcium dose and increasing K2 MK 7. And because I've upped calcium I've also upped magnesium (2:1 ratio) and added Mag oxide to keep from getting constipated.

On top of that my PTH is borderline high so I take quite a bit of D. I would like to reduce the number of times a day I take vits but I don't see how because everyone says you can't absorb more than 500 mg calcium at a time and magnesium competes with it so I have to stagger it most of the time.

Wake up (6 am)

1 Vitamin A dry palmitate (25,000 iu)

1 Vitamin D3 dry cholecalciferol (50,000 iu)

1 Vitamin K-2 MK7 (100 mcg)

1 Vitamin K-1 1000

1 PDF probiotic

2 citrate copper

1 Potassium Citrate SR

Magnesium citrate (200)

Breakfast:

Calcium citrate (250)

1Calcium Hydroxyapatite (250 mg)

1 boron (3 mg)

1 copper

10 am

1 Magnesium Glycinate (200 mg)

1 Magnesium Oxide (500)

1 citrate copper

Lunch

1Calcium Citrate (250 mg)

Calcium Hydroxyapatite (250 mg)

1 boron

1 copper

1 sublingual D 10,000

Afternoon

1 Calcium Citrate (250)

1 Magnesium Citrate (200 mg)

1 Potassium Citrate SR

1 boron (3 mg)

1 citrate copper

1 sublingual D 10,000

1 hour before dinner:

1 Calcium Citrate (250)

1 magnesium Glycinate (200)

1 Kirkland Multi Vitamin/Mineral

1 Zinc 50 mg every third day (17 mg/day)

4 Stool softeners

Dinner

1 calcium hydroxapetite (250 mg)

1 calcium citrate (250)

1 Boron (300)

1 copper

1 magnesium oxide

1 Costco probiotic

Bedtime

1 Vitamin D3 dry cholecalciferol (50,000 iu)

1 Vitamin A dry palmitate (25,000 iu)

1 Vitamin E dry d-alpha tocopheryl succinate (400 iu)

1 Vitamin K-2 MK7 (100 mcg)

1 Vitamin K-1 1000

1 Potassium Citrate SR

2 citrate copper

1 25 Bil probiotic

2 elemental Mag bisglycinate

Middle of night

2 Calcium citrate (500)

2 Vitamin K2 MK-7

1 vitamin D 50,000

1 boron (3 mg)

1 citrate copper

2500 calcium total (750 from hydrox, 1750 cit)

1200 elemental magnesium + 1000 oxide total

15 boron

20 copper

Here is my daily list at 2 years old (getting new labs soon):

2- Generic Centrum
Bone-up 2000 mg daily (contains 2000 elemental calc, 2 mg copper, 2000 mg D, Magnesium Oxide 700 mg, Zinc 20 mg, Manganese 2 mg, Boron 6 mg)
Biotech Dry Vit A 100,000 IUs
Magnesium Glycinate 1200 mg
MK7 (k2) 1000 mg
K1 1000 mg
Zinc Picolinate 50 mg
Selenium Complex 200 mcg plus 20 mg Vit E
Biotech Dry Vit D 50,000 (100,000 on weekend)
B-1 100 mg on Saturday
Methyl Folate 400 mcg on Saturday
Dry Vit E 400 mg 2-3x per month
Iron infusions -it looks like my last infusion is going to hold for about 1 year.

*I have been able to get away without extra copper because it is in the Bone-up but this is something I am watching carefully. I also suspect my Vit K and Vit D will need to be increased soon. I have had Vit A and Vit D injections in the past and that is why I am able to take less D than others.

Latest posts

Back