vitamin B12

JackieOnLine

Staff member
I was taking a B12 every day and my labs last fall showed a very high level. the doctor said, stop taking it but someone here - I think Liz - said don't stop, cut down. so I did cut down to a 1000 mcg once a week.
just had a lab test for it and mine is

970 pg/mL and standard range is 193 - 986 pg/mL.

haven't heard from the Nurse Practitioner yet, but I'm guessing that's good and I should stick with one a week?

I would guess my new NP will tell me to stop taking it. She didn't like that I'm currently taking 5000 IU of Vit D3 and have been since last winter - she said I should only take 1000-2000 max.

also, when I mentioned the VSG she said vitamin deficiencies were "more from bypass". uh, yes. but.

also? she is incredibly young but I am trying not to hold that against her. more and more people seem that way to me!

I would guess my new NP will tell me to stop taking it.
She’s not going to follow you around. Just do what you feel is best. They tell me all the time to stop taking B12 even tho it’s in my file that I do not take any B12. Just what is in my multi and my food. I let that one go in one ear and out the other.

At some point you just stop worrying and say, ok, I considered the problem, this is the best I can do...

"970 pg/mL and standard range is 193 - 986 pg/mL."

It's in range... problem solved

I would guess my new NP will tell me to stop taking it. She didn't like that I'm currently taking 5000 IU of Vit D3 and have been since last winter - she said I should only take 1000-2000 max.

also, when I mentioned the VSG she said vitamin deficiencies were "more from bypass". uh, yes. but.

also? she is incredibly young but I am trying not to hold that against her. more and more people seem that way to me!

5000 IUs of D daily is what is recommended for people with normal guts. I would continue to take that unless they test your levels and you are super high (I doubt it).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back