Updates.

Remingtonh

Hi all, it's been a while - about 4 1/2 months since my duodenal switch surgery so I though I'd update on my progress and experiences so far.

I decided enough is enough in January 2018, when I stepped on the scale and it read 305 pounds. Prior to surgery I got down to the 250s, and now I'm at 196, having dropped under 200 pounds last week! I am official no longer "obese" and just "overweight" at about 29 BMI. I'm looking forward to getting down to about 175 or so, which is a good weight for me. 165 would be even better and is probably my "goal" weight to provide a cushion in case of some bounce-back.

Dr. Sashidhar Ganta did a fine job. I have had no complications, the after-surgery support from his office has been very good, and the staff is excellent and responsive. I feel that he's a skilled surgeon and I'm happy to have selected him here in the Austin TX area. I have no regrets.

As has been discussed here before, Dr. Ganta had concerns, based on past experience, of difficulty getting insurance companies to pay claims for procedures using generic billing codes, like the laporascopic DS. I had to put a deposit of $5,000 down to have this procedure. This has been a controversial topic in the forum in the past. I'm happy to report that my insurance company, United Healthcare, paid the claim quickly, and I was refunded quickly by Dr. Ganta's office, "Austin Institute of Bariatrics and Laparoscopy." Thank goodness.

I haven't had my first labs since the surgery, but I'll probably have that done within the next few weeks. I'm currently taking 50,000 IUs of D3, B12 x2, 2-3 multivitamins, an ADEK bariatric combo, 2-3 calcium chewables, iron, Omniprazole, each day.

I'm not hungry and have plenty of restriction (more than I expected to be honest). Though food can smell good, and I miss the taste of some foods, If I didn't *have* to eat, I'd rather not honestly. I don't really have satisfaction if I eat, and I have to eat carefully and deliberately, as it's a fine line between eating "enough" and eating too much and feeling bad. That fine line is about one or two bites. Eating is a chore now, and that's fine with me. I have to use protein shakes to hit my protein goals.

I feel an order of magnitude better. It's remarkable how quickly and effortlessly I can move, I'm sleeping better, I have more energy, I'm in a better mood overall, and I'm just actually enjoying life. I'm wearing new bright or light colored clothes (I only ever wore black) and I can see I get more attention and glanc

I'm so glad things have worked out so well for you, and that your surgeon's concerns about insurance coverage didn't deter you from having the operation that you wanted. It sounds like you are doing great. Make the most of the restriction while it lasts, it won't last forever.

Oops it cut off some of my post:

cont'd: I can see I get more attention and glances from the ladies, too :)

I'm really thankful that I came to this forum prior to surgery, and was persuaded by you all to get the DS instead of what I originally decided on, the Gastric Bypass. That was a life-changing decision for me that you all influenced. Thank You!!

-Shane

I'm so glad things have worked out so well for you, and that your surgeon's concerns about insurance coverage didn't deter you from having the operation that you wanted. It sounds like you are doing great. Make the most of the restriction while it lasts, it won't last forever.

Thanks Larra! I'm making the most of the restriction since I can't eat much and I don't eat until uncomfortable. I'll be curious to see how long the significant restriction lasts.

Great job! ;)
I also took the ADEK combo and I had to change and take them individually after my second blood test. Don't wait until they are too low, if they go down at all it's time to change!

Good for you!
an ADEK bariatric combo
If this were me, I would drop the combo and supplement the D, A, K, and E separately. The generic multi is just to cover the odd items, like selenium, etc. You may find that you don't need to supplement the E at all, the A maybe/maybe not, I was 6 years out before I did, and I had to double my K. Can't do that on a adek combo without overdosing on something.

Excellent news!

Your appetite will likely return soon enough. At 15 years out, I still have significant restriction, which I more than make up for by eating every 2-3 hours. It’s mostly good, but every once in a while, I miss being able to really chow down on a big meal (e.g., Thanksgiving, or a fancy restaurant with many courses). I just can’t do that anymore.

It’s probably a good thing, all things considered.

Just an update:

I have hit what (was) my stretch-goal weight of 159 pounds, in fact I'm at 158 as of today - which is 147 pounds lost! I thought I would be razor-thin at this weight but I've still got a little belly-fat, but that might just be excess skin. We'll see where the weight-loss stops, but I have been consistently losing 10 pounds a month, last month I was about 168.

I few months ago I had my first labs, and everything was good. In fact Dr. Ganta advised me I'm taking too many vitamins! My vitamin D was 126 I believe, B-12 was a little high, and everything else, including protein (to my surprise) was good. I'm still taking 50,000 units of D3, but only a couple times a week instead of every day.

No problems, just some occasional pretty significant gassiness and the accompanying bloating and discomfort. I'm trying to determine whats causing that, dairy or carbs (neither of which I eat much of).

Again thanks to everyone here in this particular forum for helping and advising me through this process. You all are doing a great service.

It sounds like you're doing great. Keep in mind that your levels may change with time, and you will need to adjust vitamins and minerals up and down occasionally.
It really is an amazing surgery, isn't it. Keep up the good work!

Congratulations! Most of the men don't need as much supplementation as the women. Sounds like you are doing great!

Hope everyone is doing well! It's been awhile since I've been around, and about 1 year 4 months since my surgery. Thanks again for persuading me to get the BPS-DS.

Again, I started at 305 lbs in January 2018, and today weighed in at 133 lbs. Seems low (5'8"/5'9") but I feel great and people say I look great so I'm happy. In the beginning I expected to hopefully be around 170 lbs , then after passing that I hoped to be around after 155 lbs., but wanted to get to 140 or so to leave room for regain. But here I am at 133!

I was concerned the past six months or so because I can eat somewhat more than I could after surgery. I estimate I can eat about 6oz to 8oz depending on what it is that I eat. I'm not actually trying to lose more, but it keeps coming off - guess that's the BPD-DS doing it's thing. I have been quite stable around 135 lbs for several months. I would imagine I'll bottom out at 130, if I lose anymore at all.

Labs have been very good, in fact I had to cut back on vitamin D and B12 because those levels were quite high.

-Shane

Attachments

• 20191207_122637.jpg
    20191207_122637.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back