Two weeks to go and undecided...

Catherine

Hi and thank you for reading..I'm 51, single mom of 3, and have struggled with my weight for the past 20 years. I have decided to do this on my own, and only share my surgery with a couple of close friends (both recently had gastric bypass - RNY), my oldest daughter (22) and all of my new friends here on this site:)

I have my final weigh in tomorrow and will begin my 2 week countdown to having surgery on 21 July. Though not officially approved through insurance, my doctor has already scheduled me in order to synch kids on vacation while I'm at home recovering.

I thought I was set on having the VSG, but as time gets closer and I read more threads (creeping really, this is my first real forum as a user), I'm uncertain which surgery is best. Would love to have your thoughts. I'm 5'4", 215 lbs, HBP for 5 yrs, Hashimotos hypothyroid (20 yrs).

Hi and thank you for reading..I'm 51, single mom of 3, and have struggled with my weight for the past 20 years. I have decided to do this on my own, and only share my surgery with a couple of close friends (both recently had gastric bypass - RNY), my oldest daughter (22) and all of my new friends here on this site:)

I have my final weigh in tomorrow and will begin my 2 week countdown to having surgery on 21 July. Though not officially approved through insurance, my doctor has already scheduled me in order to synch kids on vacation while I'm at home recovering.

I thought I was set on having the VSG, but as time gets closer and I read more threads (creeping really, this is my first real forum as a user), I'm uncertain which surgery is best. Would love to have your thoughts. I'm 5'4", 215 lbs, HBP for 5 yrs, Hashimotos hypothyroid (20 yrs).
you are going to get heavy bias from me, but DS is the ONLY surgery I considered. I am assuming you are torn between the VSG & DS?

you are going to get heavy bias from me, but DS is the ONLY surgery I considered. I am assuming you are torn between the VSG & DS?
Actually, hadn't even considered DS. My two girlfriends had the RNY and I thought VSG was a better option for me based on my own internet research. Honestly, I don't know much about the DS approach.

Actually, hadn't even considered DS. My two girlfriends had the RNY and I thought VSG was a better option for me based on my own internet research. Honestly, I don't know much about the DS approach.
The VSG is DEFINITELY the better choice between that and the RnY (one of the best Weight Loss surgeons in the world will not do a RnY procedure because he has spent so much time fixing them after they have failed), but the best proven success at maintaining weight loss and resolving almost all comorbidities (Diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol and sleep apnea) is the DS.

I have to be honest and tell you that I think you need to slow down and fully research these procedures.

Last edited:
Catherine, hi and welcome. It's a big decision, and I would advise anyone considering any form of bariatric surgery not to proceed until you are confident about your decision and committed to following the plan necessary for both long term success and good nutritional health.

I chose the DS because it has the best statistics of any standard of care bariatric operation for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. It does require a commitment to taking a number of vitamins and minerals for the rest of your life, and for consuming lots of protein, but has by far the easiest and most varied diet and the ability to take NSAIDs.

If you are stuck between vsg and gastric bypass only, I would say go with vsg, because the success, at least short term, is almost exactly the same as gastric bypass but without the inability to take NSAIDs for life that you have with gastric bypass, and without the risk of dumping (or at least much, much less risk) because you keep the normal function of your pyloric valve. Also, if you were to decide later to revise to the DS, it would be a much easier and safer revision than going from gastric bypass to DS, which is very complex and challenging, higher risk, and done by only a handful of DS surgeons.

And I would add to what @Scott said about slowing down. I'm sure it feels like you've been waiting and jumping through hoops forever, but it's far better to fully research ALL the options as a pre-op and be confident about your decision, whatever that decision may turn out to be. It's elective surgery, you lose nothing by waiting a little longer and may have a great deal to gain, if only in peace of mind.

http://www.dsfacts.com/comparison-of-ds-and-rny.php

Excess Weight Loss (EWL)
Excess weight loss percentages can be calculated by determining pounds lost divided by total excess pounds. The RNY and DS statistics for excess weight loss percentages can be found in the AACE/TOS/ASMBS Guidelines. [51]

RNY

EWL% at 1-2 years 48%-85%

EWL% at 3-6 years 53%-77%

EWL% at 7-10 years 25%-68%

DS

EWL% at 1-2 years 65%-83%

EWL% at 3-6 years 62%-81%

EWL% at 7-10 years 60%-80%

Thanks Larra, I'm 95% leaning towards VSG. Stumbling on this forum today, provided some additional insights I hadn't considered. I know there aren't long term results for the VSG, but results are similar to the RNY at least in the first year or so.

Thanks Larra, I'm 95% leaning towards VSG. Stumbling on this forum today, provided some additional insights I hadn't considered. I know there aren't long term results for the VSG, but results are similar to the RNY at least in the first year or so.
Hi Catherine

Do you have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol or sleep Apnea? How good are you at dieting?

I ask about dieting because the VSG (which is part of the DS, but DS also has "the switch" which maintains weight loss because of reduced absorption) only has the restrictive component and you basically have to diet the rest of your life to maintain any weight loss. I had diabetes and I knew the DS would cure that issues so that is why I had the procedure, and I knew that I couldn't diet and be successful because I like to eat too much. I eat around 4,000 calories a day and pretty much whatever I want (heavy protein first focus) and lost nearly 180 pounds...and it isn't coming back.

As Larra says, this is a huge decision with long term implications so that is why I bring this up to you. Please research all of these surgeries and if you have any of this issues I mentioned, the DS is your best chance to solve those issues AND by far the best at the weight loss part of it.

Good luck!

Welcome @Catherine

I started at about the same as you are now. You and I are both 5'4"...I was 203, you are 215...BOTH of us are Lightweights.

I chose the DS because when I had my surgery, the VSG was not covered by Medicare. That happened 18 months after I had surgery.

I knew I needed malabsorption as no diet had ever worked. I was great at losing, lousy at keeping it off. I always regained and they brought friends. But my options at the time I had surgery were the lap band (should be banned), the RNY and the DS. I required NSAIDS so I got the DS but finding a surgeon willing to do the DS on a lightweight took some doing.

I do know that Dr. Elariny does the DS on lightweights as my Angel is also a lightweight and a Elariny DS'er.

All we ask is to do your research, chose your surgery AND then chose your surgeon. Think twice, cut once. Revisions are much harder.

You couldn't pay me to have the RNY.
I'd choose VSG over RNY if those were my only two options.
But I had the VSG back in 2010 and then revised last November to the DS.
I wish now I had just gone with DS from the beginning.

Just research your options. I had VSG 5 years ago and while I had initial good results I have gained back most of my weight. Now I am considering a DS revision.

I don't eat a lot and I have a difficult time losing weight now. my metabolism is shot (it wasn't always like this). If you can diet long term, completely change the way you eat forever, then you might not need malabsorption. It's really hard to say. You are considered a lightweight. Just research, ask questions and research some more.

Good luck!

Catherine,

Welcome and I echo the sage advise of all those who responded before me. The most important thing here, as I see it, is that you take the time to do research and get the right surgery for you because (a) revisions are expensive, unpleasant, bring added risk, and not available to all, and (b) while I've been there and once the choice is made to get surgery, I *understand* the urgency and frustration that makes us to rush in and be done with it. The thought of delaying things may seem unbearable, but in the end, a few weeks, months, or even a year will be but a distant memory someday and you will be a small price to pay to make the right decision of something that can and will have a massive impact on you for the rest of your life.

Were I in your shoes, I'd research the VSG and DS. I've seen the RNY fail too many people.

Wishing you all the best in your journey.

Kind regards,
Hilary

Yesterday, at the pool, I met a gentleman that had the RNY four years ago. Within the first year, he lost 170 pounds. Four years later, he has gained 210 pounds (the original 170 plus 40 more). He is going to have the revision to the DS a week from tomorrow. I have herad this story repeatedly.

That tells me everything that I need to know about the RNY.

Latest posts

Back