Twelve weeks out

GirlFriday

Enjoying the journey
Today is 12 weeks for me, and I had my check up today. My complete lab numbers weren't in yet (which surprised me because I had them done several days ago), so I have to wait to find out what my numbers were.

I did find out at the NUT today that I am not getting NEAR enough fat in my diet and I should be using more butter and oil to cook with. I also need to add an oil supplement to my diet.

I have lost 32.2% of my excess weight at this point. The doctor and the NUT tell me I am right on track with my weight loss.

In the meantime, I signed up for our Corporate Challenge which takes place in September and our company competes against a bunch of other companies in "athletic office challenges" for top honors. I signed up to be in the keyboarding competition and I am "the pusher" on my team for the office chair races. I also signed up for the parallel parking challenge and the 5K walk. I have to start training now so I can be prepared and win!! The best part about it...this year, they don't have to special order a t-shirt because I need one so big. That is right, I am getting a 2XL and it will fit me just fine.

I have decided to continue with my counseling - I think it is helping. I have a new non-food realted hobby thanks to my therapist -- adult coloring books.

I started seeing a new guy recently and that is nice too.

It sounds like you have already accomplished so much at 12 weeks!

I know that DSers don't have a problem eating fat, but i hadn't heard that we should actually be striving to get a minimum. What's that about?

WOW, look at the new you!

I know that DSers don't have a problem eating fat, but i hadn't heard that we should actually be striving to get a minimum. What's that about?

The fat helps in two ways, first it is necessary for neurological health (specifically brain and nervous system) and since we are malabsorptive for fat, we need to concentrate on getting more in than non-DS people. Second, it helps in moving things along in our bowels and can help avoid constipation.

It is a weird concept to grasp for people who were used to hearing how bad fat is for us as we tried to lose weight in traditional ways. I had to change the way I shopped and switch to buying butter, heavy weight cream for coffee and some full fat stuff I used to get as non or reduced fat.

Yesterday, I had told the NUT that I ate a lot of fish and seafood. She told me that I should be brushing it with a heart healthy fat like avacado, walnut, or olive oil before I bake it. I have those at home, I just wasn't using as much of those as I needed to.
I have chronic dry skin since the surgery, and she took one look at my shoulders (where it is the worst) and said, yep, you need more fat.

I also got the speech about using real butter rather than margarine -- I only use real butter anyway, so that isn't a big deal.

The PA in the surgeon's office told me the same thing about the dry skin and said it might help some with the texture of my hair which has changed.

I have never had a doctor's office tell me to eat more fat.

Yesterday, I had told the NUT that I ate a lot of fish and seafood. She told me that I should be brushing it with a heart healthy fat like avacado, walnut, or olive oil before I bake it. I have those at home, I just wasn't using as much of those as I needed to.
I have chronic dry skin since the surgery, and she took one look at my shoulders (where it is the worst) and said, yep, you need more fat.

I also got the speech about using real butter rather than margarine -- I only use real butter anyway, so that isn't a big deal.

The PA in the surgeon's office told me the same thing about the dry skin and said it might help some with the texture of my hair which has changed.

I have never had a doctor's office tell me to eat more fat.
Maybe they are FINALLY getting the message that FAT is healthy, it's carbs that aren't. (And yes for anyone reading, I know about "good/bad" carbs "simple/complex" carbs but as a resolved diabetic, it did not MATTER where my carbs came from)

We had a long talk about carbs yesterday, too. They gave me a goal for complex carbs, but I am supposed to get them throughout the day and not in all one sitting. I am not sure how that looks yet unless I take a bite of fruit every hour or so.

I will sit down tonight and read and get it worked out in my head.

I also have to give up all dairy except yogurt for a couple of weeks.

We had a long talk about carbs yesterday, too. They gave me a goal for complex carbs, but I am supposed to get them throughout the day and not in all one sitting. I am not sure how that looks yet unless I take a bite of fruit every hour or so.

BOO on having to give up dairy for now. Even butter???? It IS a dairy product?

I am an oddball with carbs. Mine are higher than what is generally accepted. But then again, it worked for me. AND I have discovered I have to have some carbs throughout the day. So my first breakfast involves dairy carbs, second breakfast while mostly protein usually includes a well buttered slice of toast or half an English muffin (dh eats the other half). IF I DON'T eat some carbs with that one, by lunchtime I am in full blown reactive hypoglycemia. WITH some carbs, I am fine.

We all have to find what works for us and that can be a lifelong balancing act.

Today is 12 weeks for me, and I had my check up today. My complete lab numbers weren't in yet (which surprised me because I had them done several days ago), so I have to wait to find out what my numbers were....
I know here things like Vit. D can take up to 2 weeks to come in.

Why the vacation from dairy?

I think there is debate about this. I would argue that we absolutely do NOT need to be striving to eat a certain amount of fat. We should focus on protein and there will be fat that comes along with it but I have never subscribed to the need to seek fat......personally I think that is a "DS wives Tale".

Let me clarify...I was never told that I had to have x amount of fat. I showed them my shoulders where I have chronic dry skin and the NUT and the PA at separate times told me that was from not getting enough fat.

The NUT asked what I eat and I told her that I eat a lot of fish and she to me to add fat. She said that the extra fat would help me combat the skin problems.
The PA basically said the same thing. I was told to add in either flaxseed oil or Omega 3 to my supplements as well.

Let me clarify...I was never told that I had to have x amount of fat. I showed them my shoulders where I have chronic dry skin and the NUT and the PA at separate times told me that was from not getting enough fat.

The NUT asked what I eat and I told her that I eat a lot of fish and she to me to add fat. She said that the extra fat would help me combat the skin problems.
The PA basically said the same thing. I was told to add in either flaxseed oil or Omega 3 to my supplements as well.
Hope you didn't think I was responding that I thought you said that.....The other WLS board many of us were at before here had numerous people who told others they needed to get a certain amount of fat every day. I was saying that I don't think we for the most part have to try if we are eating protein heavy foods because there is a good amount of fat in many of those foods (not all).

Last edited:
Hope you didn't think I was responding that I thought you said that.....The other WLS board many of us were at before here had numerous people who told others they needed to get a certain amount of fat every day. I was saying that I don't think we for the most part have to try if we are eating protein heavy foods because there is a good amount of food in many of those foods (not all).

Oh no that is not the case. After reading your post, I went back read what I wrote, and I just thought that I needed to clarify that I wasn't given a "goal" for fat in case someone was looking for one.

I was just told that I needed more fat.

I took no offense and certainly didn't mean any. Besides, I believe I owe my addiction to Strawberry Crush to you.

Latest posts

Back