Tummy Troubles

Diana S.

I had a VSG 12 years ago and am currently in the process of appealing a Kaiser denial for a DS revision. My trip to the ER, GP, and questions posed to my Kaiser assigned surgeon illuminated just how little they actually know about my anatomy.

A fluoroscopy revealed that my VSG stomach wasn't the sweeping C shape that it should be, but rather a twisted slinky-type shape and appears to be folded over on itself at the bottom. I've been having massive trouble eating, vomiting nearly everything up, which is of zero concern to my doctors. The other night, I had intense stabbing pain after eating a few noodles, and terrified that this had finally become some kind of obstruction, I zoomed to the ER.

They gave me fluids and some numbing meds, did some blood work (which was apparently "all good") and sent me home. But now, I feel like I've done a million crunches... my stomach area is SO SORE. I can't stretch completely upright, and I'm wondering if this rings a bell for anyone, if I've done damage to my sleeve, or if I'm being a big baby.

I've been on a liquid diet since my romp to the ER, and I've been feeling so crummy that I haven't been active. I've learned over the years to not ignore my body, so I'm just wondering if anyone here has some advice or input on my situation?

Thank you!

EDIT: I'm in contact with Dr. Rabkin for whenever I'm able to overcome the Kaiser appeal, and he's the only doctor who seems concerned about my sleeve.

Last edited:
fluoroscopy revealed that my VSG stomach wasn't the sweeping C shape that it should be, but rather a twisted slinky-type shape and appears to be folded over on itself at the bottom. I've been having massive trouble eating, vomiting nearly everything up, which is of zero concern to my doctors. The other night, I had intense stabbing pain

that is horrible, why don't they care?! :mad:

Welcome! Dr. Rabkin is the best. He has a group that worth going to.

Hope to see you there. :)

San Francisco
Date: 2nd Wednesday of each month
Time: 6 PM - Simultaneous Informational Seminar and post-op meeting.
7 PM - General open meeting for both pre-op and post-op patients.
Place: Cafeteria at St. Mary's Hospital
450 Stanyan Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
Additional details: Parking is available at St. Mary's Hospital parking at the corner of Stanyan and Hayes Street.
For more information please call our office.

Has Rabkin seen the fluoroscopy? If so, what does he say to do?
He has, and he's the only one taking it seriously. He's asked me to request several tests of my Kaiser GP, who "sees no need" and has refused. Dr. Rabkin did write a supplemental letter to the normal LOMN stating that:
Her current gastric sleeve configuration is also abnormal and requires revision. In addition, she needs a hiatal hernia repair due to evidence of severe reflux on her 1/17/17 UGI study, and had severe pain requiring an ER visit on 6/12/17, possibly related to her abnormal gastric sleeve or to a transient small bowel obstruction due to abdominal adhesions.
... but that probably isn't going to sway anyone until I can submit my IMR. Which is a month plus to submit, and 30 more days for them to make their determination. And then who knows how long until Kaiser complies.

Thank you all for the support. So I got my kaiser denial letter today, and apparently I can go straight to submitting my IMR. Tweaking my letter for them now with the amazing Larra and Diana. We're going to try to stress that this is an emergency situation as much as possible so maybe the DMHC will see fit to fast-track the decision. Wish me luck!

Submitted for my IMR this morning. Indicated that it was urgent and please expedite the review. Hopefully I'll have an answer by the end of the week or early next week. I am so over this pain at any sip of anything, I almost HOPE that Dr. Rabkin sees fit to install the little food input port he described if my stomach was too raw to pass anything through while healing.

Well, the DMHC didn't accept it as urgent. They're doing a standard 30-day review. An Expedited Review is only accepted if you're about to lose a limb or need a life saving prescription or something like that. But I did get a call asking if the malformed sleeve correction was part of the DS procedure, in which case they'll submit that as one request. I said I thought so, she said Kaiser said so, so I don't know if there was a benefit to that or not. Still holding my breath and not eating anything solid :/

Latest posts

Back