Tried those pretend meats? “Impossible Burger” types.

Spiky Bugger

Asking for a non-DSer friend. Well, for the woman who cooks for him.

Have you tried the pretend ground beef? I’m sure I’d hate it…if I knew what was going on. But if I had pasta and meat sauce, and the “meat” was half whatever I normally eat and half Impossible Burger “meat,” I’d likely miss the fact that I’d been “tricked.” I’d probably not notice it in meatloaf or a taco, either.

The gentleman in question has been put on statins and is not feeling great and we were discussing other ways to attack “too high” triglycerides. Like me, he’d hate it from the git-go, IF he knew that’s what was happening.

My issue with pretend meats...all the stuff used to make it.
With meat from a cow, you have just one ingredient to start. Meat!
Ingredients in impossible meat: Water, Textured Wheat Protein, Coconut Oil, Potato Protein, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Leghemoglobin (soy), Yeast Extract, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Konjac Gum, Xanthan Gum, Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Zinc, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12

My issue with pretend meats...all the stuff used to make it.
With meat from a cow, you have just one ingredient to start. Meat!
Ingredients in impossible meat: Water, Textured Wheat Protein, Coconut Oil, Potato Protein, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Leghemoglobin (soy), Yeast Extract, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Konjac Gum, Xanthan Gum, Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Zinc, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12

Indeed!

Now tell me, please, why those protein items are bolded. I went to the ingredients wondering both where the protein we need comes from and how many processed wheat type things might be there. But since I was Today Years Old when I first encountered the term “potato protein,” I would never have noticed it.

Indeed!

Now tell me, please, why those protein items are bolded. I went to the ingredients wondering both where the protein we need comes from and how many processed wheat type things might be there. But since I was Today Years Old when I first encountered the term “potato protein,” I would never have noticed it.

Re Today Years Old

In Italian, when referring to a woman's age, I learned there are three stages

Vent ani ...20s
Trent ani ..30s
Ant ani... some years

Hey.. blame the professors in the Roman Dante Alegheri Scuola, I'm just a student

I have tried beyond beef in tacos and while the taste was okay the texture was a little eraser like. I have bought texturized vegetable protein from grocery stores that have bulk stuff aisle and used to mix it with ground beef. So have TVP and half beef. Nobody noticed. Not even my sensitive taste buds. I have also used Okara which is the stuff that’s leftover from making tofu and it’s high in protein. I would mix it with ground meat to make meatballs or meatloaf etc. It tasted okay too especially if it was covered in a flavorful sauce. I really need to make sure I used good seasoning and browned some onions, peppers and garlic to add to my mix as well for all of it. Straight meat and fake meat just isn’t as good.

Latest posts

Back