Thrush and DS

Webmommy

My kids have an overgrowth of candida and so now I do too. Boo! They’re being treated and I have an appointment tomorrow and I am going to ask for Diflican. I am breastfeeding and my little girl’s mouth is so sore and her lymph nodes are swollen. Plus she has a fever. It was just a matter of time before I got it too.

Is there anything I should know about yeast and the DS, like will it be harder to get rid of or do I need a longer prescription? Is this why I am SO terribly constipated in spite of everything I do? I have been on probiotics since the DS and they have since they had antibiotics this winter. They eat a lot of yogurt and so do I. They like Activia but I make my own so I can control the sourness, fat and protein. Thrush was so hard to get rid of before when my then newborn and I had it way before the DS that I am worried and aggravated it will be hard to get rid of now.

I'm sorry. :( Only time thrush ever hit our household was pre-DS, during breastfeeding. Purple tongue time. I don't think I've ever heard of yeast challenges lasting longer post-DS or anything like that, but it's hard to tell how much of any medicine a DSer will absorb. Hope this passes quickly.

I swear by Pedialax watermelon chewables (magnesium hydroxide) for constipation. Added dietary fat also can bring relief. Ugh!

I'm sorry. :( Only time thrush ever hit our household was pre-DS, during breastfeeding. Purple tongue time. I don't think I've ever heard of yeast challenges lasting longer post-DS or anything like that, but it's hard to tell how much of any medicine a DSer will absorb. Hope this passes quickly.

I swear by Pedialax watermelon chewables (magnesium hydroxide) for constipation. Added dietary fat also can bring relief. Ugh!

Thank you! I have tried magnesium citrate/oxide blend, miralax etc and it hasn’t worked. What was working was 3 Swiss Kriss a day but lately that stopped working. Fats haven’t been working either. It just feels sluggish.

When we had thrush the last time I made a mistake with the gentian violet and forgot to put Vaseline around her lips so she had a purple face!

Thank you! I got my prescription for two weeks of Diflucan!

I‘ve been prone to yeast infections since WAY before the DS. Antibiotics and carbs have been the main culprits. YEARS ago, I had to explain to a dentist why, if he gave me an Rx for an antibiotic for dental work, I also needed an Rx for diflucan. He blushed.

My current PCP would never Rx me a two week supply. Last time it was take one, then three days later take another and a third one a week later. I have a small stash, so I ignore her on dosage and might take one two or three days in a row, plus miconazole vaginal cream, plus Nystatin oral.

I know how miserable I feel, so I wish you a rapid cure.

Last edited:
I‘ve been prone to yeast infections since WAY before the DS. Antibiotics and carbs have been the main culprits. YEARS ago, I had to explain to a dentist why, if he gave me an Rx for an antibiotic for dental work, I also needed an Rx for diflucan. He blushed.

My current PCP would never Rx me a two week supply. Last time it was take one, then three days later take another and a third one a week later. I have a small stash, so I ignore her on dosage and might take one two or three days in a row, plus miconazole vaginal cream, plus Nystatin oral.

I know how miserable I feel, so I wish you a rapid cure.

I love it when I can get a doctor to blush! Luckily the NP I saw is also a lactation consultant and knows that two weeks is how long it takes to get it out of your breasts. Candida is becoming resistant to Nystatin and my son also needed two weeks of Diflucan because Nystatin didn’t work. So he’s going on his 7 th day of meds and it’s still alive. That’s for sure but the ulcers are healing in his tongue even though it’s slower on his body. I ended up calling the baby's provider and asked for Diflucan for her too since we all have it and she has a one week supply.

My mouth feels furry and yucky but what’s worse is the two sores I have on my nipple! That hurts pretty bad since they’re working breasts! She feels terrible and so she only wants to nurse and She prefers the side that hurts the worst. But I know she feels the worst. Her lymph nodes were so swollen I actually broke self isolation to take her into the doctor which was a whole thing because she had a fever and all that. I got a good look at her mouth last night when she was hollering and it looks awful. It bleeds when I give her medicine. She doesn’t want to eat and hardly drinks water either. I feel bad that I didn’t prevent this which is nuts because I tried! On the bright side we don’t have Covid and she didn’t have the Kawasaki like symptoms that I was afraid she might have. So I am glad I can say it’s just yeast.

Has Sheanie seen this?

She is another breastfeeding Drill Sergeant, plus she has access to many medical types.
I welcome any input because it has been awhile since I struggled with yeast. I was told to put my bras in the sun because that helps kill it. But who’s wearing a bra right now?!

So should I be doing something to my clothes like washing them with vinegar or bleach? Should I be running dishes through the dishwasher on an extra hot cycle too?

I welcome any input because it has been awhile since I struggled with yeast. I was told to put my bras in the sun because that helps kill it. But who’s wearing a bra right now?!

So should I be doing something to my clothes like washing them with vinegar or bleach? Should I be running dishes through the dishwasher on an extra hot cycle too?
Vinegar added to the rinse cycle helps the feel of the clothes. Do you have room for a solar dryer aka clothesline? Line dried clothes, as long as it isn’t pollen season, is healthier.

This is Webmommy ’s fault!

Even TALKING about this sets yet another round in play! I just took a fluconazole, because my tongue feels carpeted and my lady parts are making themselves known. And all this on top of our wildlife situation...To Wit...an attempted duck gang rape this morning.
Sorry! It’s so contagious and annoying. My husband needs to be treated too so he won’t pass it back to us but he is resisting making an appointment.

Don’t know if this might work for you, but there’s a medical group called Heal.com
They have no medical offices and operate via House Calls, billed as office visits or Tele Health, billed as a Tele Health visit. Many insurances are accepted... https://heal.com/pricing/ and if you have no insurance, Tele Health costs $79 and House Calls (I don’t know if they are doing those right now) are $159.

Also, https://siliconangle.com/2020/03/24...nches-telemedicine-app-102-million-americans/

I haven’t used them yet, but I looked into it when I got tired of begging for Fluconazole in sufficient quantities. It was going to cost me zero in copays, so a phone call and no cash sounded great to me.

Maybe you can find them or something similar that he might find less of a pain?

(Also...they don’t write Rxs for narcotics...and there’s something else they don’t do, but I don’t remember what that was.)

Don’t know if this might work for you, but there’s a medical group called Heal.com
They have no medical offices and operate via House Calls, billed as office visits or Tele Health, billed as a Tele Health visit. Many insurances are accepted... https://heal.com/pricing/ and if you have no insurance, Tele Health costs $79 and House Calls (I don’t know if they are doing those right now) are $159.

Also, https://siliconangle.com/2020/03/24...nches-telemedicine-app-102-million-americans/

I haven’t used them yet, but I looked into it when I got tired of begging for Fluconazole in sufficient quantities. It was going to cost me zero in copays, so a phone call and no cash sounded great to me.

Maybe you can find them or something similar that he might find less of a pain?

(Also...they don’t write Rxs for narcotics...and there’s something else they don’t do, but I don’t remember what that was.)

Thank you for the info! My appointment to get Diflucan was telehealth and we go to the same clinic so he can do telehealth too. I didn’t even have to show my boobs. Just my tongue and said my kids both have it badly and we’re being treated. He’s just being difficult! But I am going to win this war!

Latest posts

Back