The Traveling Pants... and Shirts... and stuff :D

Oh, OK - it just hit me that way.

My mother is not only 6" taller than me (well, she was, before shrinking as she aged), but was essentially always MO - SMO. At one point, close to 400 lbs. But the year I became obese (age 16) was coincidentally (? or not?) the year she got prescribed amphetamines and got down to a size 16, which was quite slim for someone of her stature. As I got fat, I remember the sting of her trying to give me some of her by then no longer fitting 16s. <<Shudder>>
UGH! I so get this. I hated getting hand me downs like that.

Oh, OK - it just hit me that way.

My mother is not only 6" taller than me (well, she was, before shrinking as she aged), but was essentially always MO - SMO. At one point, close to 400 lbs. But the year I became obese (age 16) was coincidentally (? or not?) the year she got prescribed amphetamines and got down to a size 16, which was quite slim for someone of her stature. As I got fat, I remember the sting of her trying to give me some of her by then no longer fitting 16s. <<Shudder>>

Oh, I can certainly understand that, and I'm sorry you had to go through that. I remember my mother looking me up and down and commenting it was a shame I was SO FAT because she had clothing she wanted to give to me but I was TOO FAT (her emphasis, mind you) to wear them. She would then buy me new clothes and comment on HOW BIG they were. Ugh. Two sides to the same coin I think. Either way, it hurts. I've been careful not to inflict hurt on my two girls because I don't want them going through what I did with my own mother (aka "I'm tall and thin and why can't you be like me?") .

@BebeZed I think our mothers must be cut from the same cloth! Only my mother is shorter than I am (she topped out at 5'6 I am nearly 5'9). She's built like the ballerina she was and I am tall but built like my ancestors...no boobs or behind but hips and built to work all day in the fields with little food and have lots of babies and survive. Add to that she had someone like her in my sister (aka the California Barbie) and I got it from everyone! AKA why couldn't I be normal/thinner so that my sister's clothes would fit me like they would in other families. Good for you to stick up for your girls, we hear it enough from everywhere else we do not need it at home!

Latest posts

Back