The packing list..hrmmm

catecholamine

Resident Nerd
Okay, so surgery is 22nd, wednesday. I'm headed over to knoxville tomorrow, the 21st. What should I be bringing? I'm going to stay 1-2 days at my aunts house in knoxville before going home.
Currently:
some loose fitting clothes and sweat pants (for being at aunt's house)
pretty, clean socks
pretty, clean undies
slippers
meds (for being at aunt's house)
Chicken broth, crystal light, a few premier protein shakes (for being at aunt's house)
Hair brush, toothbrush, etc.
Contemplating bringing my laptop to the hospital since I will be there at least 3 days due to getting iron infusions. What do you guys think? Unnecessary? Or useful to prevent boredom? They have wifi....

Anything I'm missing here?

TBH, the laptop needs to stay at your aunt's house. I took mine and NEVER even opened up the case. I did manage to use my cell phone tho. Don;t forget charger cables.
Toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush, deodorant, supplies in case you start your period (which happens more times than you know), lip balm but NOT petroleum based, leave the slippers at your aunt's house...they will provide treaded footies and I didn't want my slippers getting yucky.

I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting.

Make sure your slippers are easy to slip on and non slippery bottoms for your first few walks after surgery when you may be weak and unsteady. I found a zip up robe very helpful as well. Computer to keep in touch and pass time between napping sipping and walking is a good idea. I had some yogurts for post op too, or yogurt drinks.

I gotta remember to pack the cell phone charger! Will pack some lip balm now. My slippers don't have non-slip bottoms on them...but they are slip-on. I may leave them at my aunts. If I bring them to the hospital and don't use them, I'll have my mother take them back to my aunt's house to get em out of the way.

Robe...just ask for a second gown and wear backwards...same reasoning for the robe as the slippers...I did not want hospital yuck on my clothes.
I was gonna do that, because I don't have a robe and finding one in my size last minute would be impossible in my town.

Don't know if you wear contacts or glasses but if so, you'll want some saline solution and a case. Listerine strips or sugar free lifesavers or something for breath/dry mouth? Earplugs if you're noise sensitive, or earphones if you listen to music on a phone or laptop.

Lip balm and mouthwash were musts for me at hospital

You may want your own pillow esp for travelling. - holding to your belly for comfort. And may help you be more comfortable in bed

Consider a sports bra for recovery period. And comfortable shoes so you can get up to walk.

Little medicine cups helped me sort the pills and measure food and to sip water

I travelled and stayed for about a week in hotel after release from hospital and have to admit that I took way too much stuff. The first few days are about resting. Walking. Drinking. And a little food

Oh and take your pain killers and PPIs

All good suggestions. I lost my fave neckroll b/c the hospital put it in a white pillowcase (it was leopard print) and apparently took it along with all the other bed linens one of the times they made up the bed. So don't take anything you would be upset about losing or make sure you keep track of it (which is probably an unrealistic challenge post-op).

Take very little to the hospital with you, you won't need much! I needed my lip balm, cell phone & charger, reading glasses and I did wear my own slippers but, not my own robe. I brought my own toothbrush, brush and comb but never took them out of my bag. They gave me all of those things. I was there for surgery on Friday at 6:00 a.m., Saturday and left on Sunday at about 3:00 p.m.

If I wasn't walking, trying to pee or drinking something I was sleeping! I never went back to the hotel after getting the boot from the hospital. My surgeon said I was "on the edge" of when he like an extra local day, I took the advantage an boogied to my own home!

Latest posts

Back