Surgery Soon!

jjordan8130

Hey guys!

My surgery is 2 weeks away and I'm SOOOO excited! Of course I'm a little nervous and I've wondered if I'm making the right choice. I have analyzed my choice over and over again, but still come back to it being the right thing. Hoping all these things are "normal" preop jitters. Did any of you feel this way? How did you deal with it?

LOL...yeah, altho I was dealing with a dh that was healing so I had little time to freak out for myself. Just make sure you have all your medical/legal ducks in a row. A clean house (you will enjoy that when you come home), plenty cooked ahead for anyone else that needs to eat in the house. Plenty of options for liquids for you. Basically it's the nesting instinct.

Oh hell yeah....I was all calm and cool until a week before then I was a freak show. "Maybe I should just go back on Atkins...surgery is my last resort - am I at my last resort? I'm going to leave my child alone in the world!" Totally normal...read through Duodenalswitcheroo's freak out thread for more on this topic. :) I have no buyers remorse yet...I know this was right for me. You have to weigh (no pun intended) that for yourself, have you done your research? I think you have...so don't second guess yourself. :) It's scary, you're going into unknown territory, and it's a new life - just remind yourself it's going to be a better life with lots of great things to come!

There would be something wrong if you WERENT nervous about surgery.

Just keep reminding yourself of all the reasons why you're doing it. Nothing in life is without risk. Crossing the street has risk, having surgery has risk, and remaining morbidly obese has more risk. The risk of remaining morbidly obese is much higher, but we all just come to accept that because we lived with it every day. Surgery puts a definitive time and date stamp on your fear and that risk. But just keep in mind you are doing it for the right reasons.

Although your anxiety is normal, I find therapy helps so many people. Not just for the surgery itself, but for all the life changes that come afterwards. I think that's what I was most anxious about - not dying on table or making it through the surgery, but more about losing my identity. I didn't know who I would become, what I would look like. When I realized every item of clothing I ever had - clothes, pajamas, underwear, bras, shoes...it all had to be replaced...I panicked. I even had to redo my wedding ring.

I know that's not what you're thinking and why you're asking - I just say it to prepare you that emotions (up and down) are a part of the process.

I have the same fears and thoughts. I haven't had my DS yet but those fears are strong. I look at it this way, I'm more afraid of all the complications of remaining SMO then possible complications of having the DS. My mom is bigger then I am and she's 59 yrs old and I have to do everything for her, cook, clean pay her bills make phone calls for her because she's so out of breath to talk. She does still bathes herself. But she relies on me for everything else. Get this she's only 30 lbs heavier then me. I don't want the health problems she has right now. I don't want my girls to take care of me like I do her. I have no life, I take care of my kids and my mom. The thought of my girls having to do this for me later on scares me more then the surgery or living the rest of my life taking vitamins and all the good stuff that comes along with the DS. Good luck and keep us posted on how your doing and :congrats:

It is a big deal and if you weren't a bit anxious, you'd be abnormal. There is no one perfect way to deal with the anxiety. All the responses here are spot on. Before surgery: take deep breaths. After surgery: sip and walk. You still have my phone #? Call me if you want to vent.

I'd venture a guess that *most* of us felt that way!!!! I dealt with my nerves and second-guessing myself by keeping insanely busy up until the last minute to avoid having time to think about it. I'm pretty sure the whole house did not need to be meticulously cleaned to medical standards the night before my DS, but I stayed up late mopping... Not the best approach from a mental health perspective probably, but I can even find ways to procrastinate my worrying!

I am very excited for you. DS is one of the best things I ever did for myself!

Thank you guys!!!! I thought for a minute that I was losing it! I was really worried about buyers remorse. lol I know this is most definitely the right thing to do. Glad to hear that what I've been feeling is normal!!!!!

It is a big deal and if you weren't a bit anxious, you'd be abnormal. There is no one perfect way to deal with the anxiety. All the responses here are spot on. Before surgery: take deep breaths. After surgery: sip and walk. You still have my phone #? Call me if you want to vent.

YES!!!! Of course I do!!!!! :) Oh!!! I meant to message you! I went for my upper GI Tuesday and the radiologist had this to say: "Everything looks great, but I'm curious about something. What made Dr. Houston choose to do DS on you?"
My response had a shitty tone: "Dr. Houston didn't CHOOSE anything. It's my body, therefore, it's my choice." She nodded and left the room. I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it, but it irritated me. lol

OMG! The mighty Houston has deigned to do a DS on you! Aren't you the lucky one? (Snort and eye roll here.)

YOU'RE GOING TO DO GREAT! (I'm not too sure about anyone who tries to give you shit, though. You go girl.)

I am experiencing the same thoughts and doubts...My surgery is on Monday...It is a great choice, for a better life. Not only for me, but for my wife and kids as well.....Great choice for you as well!

I am experiencing the same thoughts and doubts...My surgery is on Monday...It is a great choice, for a better life. Not only for me, but for my wife and kids as well.....Great choice for you as well!
Well said!!!!! Congrats on your surgery!!!!! Please keep us updated as you're able!

Hey guys!

My surgery is 2 weeks away and I'm SOOOO excited! Of course I'm a little nervous and I've wondered if I'm making the right choice. I have analyzed my choice over and over again, but still come back to it being the right thing. Hoping all these things are "normal" preop jitters. Did any of you feel this way? How did you deal with it?

When I had RNY in 1997 I had so much anxiety I called and canceled my original date and moved it back 2 months.

I was no less anxious with my revision. My mom had just passed 45 days earlier. My mom, best friend, and other family members had begged me not to get the revision for fear i would die. I had all kinds of irrational thoughts as to why i shouldn't get the revision. After all i was only a size 16. But then I remembered that I almost died in 1997 with the onset of diabetes. My kidneys shut down. I was in keto acidosis by blood sugar was 1200. I ended up taking 8 insulin shots a day plus Avandia. After 16 years I had become diabetic again with a grandbaby on the way.

The reality is you could maybe go on a diet and loose most of the weight maybe even all the weight, but how long before you gain it back plus more. I heard something that the news said that being overweight cuts as much as 14 to 15 years off your life.

I don't know about you but I want all the days I can get. Not to worry you can do it!

Latest posts

Back