Surgery Monday I am doing great

Hey Sophie - it's been three weeks+ now. How are you doing? :)

I am having that same pain near the drain on the right. It is actually the only place that really hurts!

More2adore: Thank you for asking! I am still doing great. Surgery was 3 weeks ... almost 4 weeks now, and I am back to work and I have more energy than before the surgery. The incisions have mostly healed. I still feel a little tender inside sometimes (like when I got together with my sisters and started laughing and bouncing around ... oops! that hurt!). I have ups and downs with energy, but still I am doing very well.

marissamast: Good luck with your drain pain. Mine was excruciating and I hope you can resolve yours soon! They didn't know why it was hurting -- but after I had drained enough (by second day) they took it out and that took care of the pain.

I need to figure out how to do that ticker thing! (I know there are instructions somewhere!). I am going to apparently be one of those people who doesn't lose steadily day by day but drops suddenly. Five days after surgery I had lost 13 pounds. Then, I stayed steady for 10-11 days. Now this last week I have lost another 10. I noticed that this last loss happened when I was getting lots of water and I added more fat to my little diet. Only a few friends have noticed the difference -- but I can sure tell especially in my face, hands, feet, and loose clothing! Yay!

This last week I have eaten: tuna and salmon with mayo, ham and cheese omelets, breakfast sausage, meatloaf, meatballs, and deviled ham (also with mayo). Daily yogurt or kefir (no sugar). Also very soft artichoke hearts and cauliflower. Everything goes down great.

At first it was easy to eat slowly. This week I have started to sometimes eat close to my previous speed, and of course that doesn't work and it starts to feel very uncomfortable. But then I just wait 5-10 min and I'm good.

I am so happy that I made this decision!!!!

The incisions have mostly healed. I still feel a little tender inside sometimes (like when I got together with my sisters and started laughing and bouncing around ... oops! that hurt!). I have ups and downs with energy, but still I am doing very well.

I am going to apparently be one of those people who doesn't lose steadily day by day but drops suddenly. Five days after surgery I had lost 13 pounds. Then, I stayed steady for 10-11 days. Now this last week I have lost another 10. I noticed that this last loss happened when I was getting lots of water and I added more fat to my little diet. Only a few friends have noticed the difference -- but I can sure tell especially in my face, hands, feet, and loose clothing! Yay!

This last week I have eaten: tuna and salmon with mayo, ham and cheese omelets, breakfast sausage, meatloaf, meatballs, and deviled ham (also with mayo). Daily yogurt or kefir (no sugar). Also very soft artichoke hearts and cauliflower. Everything goes down great.

At first it was easy to eat slowly. This week I have started to sometimes eat close to my previous speed, and of course that doesn't work and it starts to feel very uncomfortable. But then I just wait 5-10 min and I'm good.

I am so happy that I made this decision!!!!
Yeah, the incisions heal fast...but we were sliced and diced INSIDE and that does take longer to fully heal...usually about 6-8 weeks.

Many of us are stair steppers...and as long as you do NOT let the number on the scale play head games, it's fine to weigh...but if you find it messing with you, get rid of it. Better indicators ARE the clothes, and people NOTICING!!!

I LOVE artichoke dipped in either mayo or butter...my aunt taught me to like them LONG ago...too bad I can't get dh to go along with me. I personally waited til I was about 8 weeks out for the gas producing veggies such as cauliflower. They will tear some people up and others, like me, have no problems with them...sounds as if you are like me in that.

The ONLY time I was nauseous early on...we went out to eat and I ate WAY too fast. FELT like I needed to throw up, even slimed for awhile but thankfully the feeling passed and I didn't actually throw up. Slowing down was the HARDEST part of my journey.

My daddy taught me very early on to eat fast AND clean my plate. A stent in the military, esp my 8 weeks at Advanced ROTC camp (thing basic training for ROTC students), did nothing to slow me down...in fact it made it worse...I could shovel food in with the best of them. Esp when given at best 10 mins to eat and they did not look kindly on waste. And even tho it's been 30 years since I was in the military, habits like that are very hard to break. Not cleaning my plate was easier than slowing down. It helps now that I do MUCH smaller portion sizes to start with cause we can always go back for seconds.

But even now, I eat faster than I SHOULD!

Awesome, awesome, awesome, glad to hear you are doing so well, but, yes, please take it easy for another couple weeks or so regarding the veggies and such.

@southernlady….Being an ex Army guy I know EXACTLY what you mean regarding the fast eating thing. THEY forced us to eat everything quickly, literally shoveling it in while the DS, (Drill Sergeant) stood over you. As a pre-op, I am trying to teach myself how to eat slow and chew until its purified and its really hard. I have literally analyzed my chewing habits and I average 12 chews before swallowing, and I am trying to do 3 X that, to 36. Thought about posting a separate thread just on that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back