Surgery completed yesterday 8-13!

Remingtonh

Well it's done! I have been switched! It's been hard to celebrate because of the massive post-op pain last night, but it's getting a little better.

I haven't talked to Dr. Ganta yet, but hope to do so this morning to get more details. My understanding is the surgery went very well, though some scarring from an old gallbladder removal hampered hampered things a bit.

I kind of hope they keep me in the hospital for another day. Leaving hospital pain management makes me nervous right now.

Again I want to express my sincere gratitude to Diana, Larra, and others here for persuading my to push for the DS rather than settle for the RNY. You all changed my life for the better, I'm sure!

Congratulations on your DS! Please stay hydrated - it is the most important thing to remember early out. Also, you will want to request a copy of your surgical report from medical records while you are at hospital. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Congrats! The first few days/weeks are tough, but it will get better, honest. Like southernlady said, focus on hydration and all the rest will follow.

Oh man, the first day sux. It gets better pretty quickly, but that first week is rough. Welcome to a new life. :)

Thanks everyone. I really wasn't expecting the post-op pain I experienced the first couple days. I really was feeling regret over the decision for a bit there. Yesterday I started to turn the corner though, and today is even better.

I'm a little concerned that I can't seem to swallow much. I still have to take very small sips. I guess the stomach is swollen closed right now? When will that improve? They want me to drink 40oz of liquids then progress to 64 oz, but even the 40 oz is still highly optimistic right now.

It gets better. It was a few month before I could eat more than about a egg in a meal. It was a couple weeks before I could drink much. I had to sip a lot.

My secret was sugar free Popsicles. That are amazing when you are first out of surgery. Helps get the liquid in.

I'm a little concerned that I can't seem to swallow much. I still have to take very small sips.

don't be concerned, that is exactly what is supposed to happen. and don't wish it away! it WILL go away but now is the time to pay attention to every sip. no mindlessly putting stuff in your mouth and swallowing it, that will make you sorry. maybe, at times, very sorry. :sneaky:

I'm a little concerned that I can't seem to swallow much. I still have to take very small sips. I guess the stomach is swollen closed right now? When will that improve? They want me to drink 40oz of liquids then progress to 64 oz, but even the 40 oz is still highly optimistic right now.
AS LONG as you aren't home yet, and still on an IV getting fluids, 40 oz is okay but get working on 64 as that is the minimum once off IV's. We (WLS) get dehydrated VERY fast, faster than any group of surgeries overall.

So how do you get 64 oz in daily with a pissy swollen sleeve: Never Had Surgery? Here's What to Expect!

instead of editing my post above, let me just say sorry if I sounded flip about it. I mean it that you should expect and use this time, though, because although you "know" small portions are the point of a sleeved stomach, you know it in your head. now you will learn it for real, viscerally. SMALL sips, as frequently as possible.

and it will be the same for food, when it's time for that. TINY amounts and the pace should be GLACIAL.

I hope your pain is a lot less. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back