Sunday Weigh In (5/16/2021)

Last week 142
This week 143
No clue why, as I cleaned up my eating and got a bit more exercise. Oh well.
I wouldn't worry about it. You always stay within a few pounds. I was thinking when I read this, you are such a rock and wealth of knowledge for everyone, but you need reassurance and encouragement like the rest of us. Thank you for everything you do for this site and the people who come here for support and knowledge.

Last week 197.8
This week 197.0

Trying to cut back on the carbs but it is a daily struggle. Not happy with how much diet soda I'm slurping down during the work week but one battle at a time. Didn't do much this weekend besides cutting the grass and doing our shopping. Poor little car is always so packed getting groceries for 2 weeks for 5 adults. Usually fill the trunk and most of the back seat.

I wouldn't worry about it. You always stay within a few pounds. I was thinking when I read this, you are such a rock and wealth of knowledge for everyone, but you need reassurance and encouragement like the rest of us. Thank you for everything you do for this site and the people who come here for support and knowledge.
Thank you. I appreciate that.
Last Week: 238
This Week: 234.5
Doing great.
Last week 197.8
This week 197.0

Trying to cut back on the carbs but it is a daily struggle. Not happy with how much diet soda I'm slurping down during the work week but one battle at a time. Didn't do much this weekend besides cutting the grass and doing our shopping. Poor little car is always so packed getting groceries for 2 weeks for 5 adults. Usually fill the trunk and most of the back seat.
Soda habits are hard to break, esp since everyone is convinced that diet is the way to go. All diet did for me was want more.

Well, wow, almost as soon as I crossed the threshold into an 'underweight' BMI I began to experience medical problems culminating into my current extended stay at a hospital. I was admitted on Friday after severe abominable pains which I figured, correctly, was some sort of intestinal obstruction. They initially diagnosed it as an 'internal hernia' that may be a complication of my weight loss surgery.

They moved me to another hospital where Dr. Ganta had privileges and performed surgery yesterday. Apparently a portion of my small intestine had become twisted, and he just advised me in a followup that my intestinal walls are very thin, bruise easily and are difficult to work with. He believes another contributing factor is that there is no visceral fat holding my organs in place and recommended that I gain weight to about 135 lbs. or somewhere in that range so as to provide support for the intestines so they aren't just hanging and moving around - or something to that effect.

We won't know for sure if the surgery was a success until I eat and see if I still experience problems, but I'm "NPO" until I have a good full bowel movement, which I haven't been able have yet, I guess because the anesthesia affects the ability to do that for a few days. If I still experience problems after eating it wasn't clear that they know what the next steps for treatment would be.

This whole ordeal really sucks and is quite overwhelming...

Last week: 177.7
This week: 174.6

I started doing IF (14:10 usually) 4 weeks ago and been adapting to it and a more rigorous eating schedule. It all seems to be kicking in finally. I’m trying to lose 20 pounds of regain to get back to my happy zone.

Well, wow, almost as soon as I crossed the threshold into an 'underweight' BMI I began to experience medical problems culminating into my current extended stay at a hospital. I was admitted on Friday after severe abominable pains which I figured, correctly, was some sort of intestinal obstruction. They initially diagnosed it as an 'internal hernia' that may be a complication of my weight loss surgery.

They moved me to another hospital where Dr. Ganta had privileges and performed surgery yesterday. Apparently a portion of my small intestine had become twisted, and he just advised me in a followup that my intestinal walls are very thin, bruise easily and are difficult to work with. He believes another contributing factor is that there is no visceral fat holding my organs in place and recommended that I gain weight to about 135 lbs. or somewhere in that range so as to provide support for the intestines so they aren't just hanging and moving around - or something to that effect.

We won't know for sure if the surgery was a success until I eat and see if I still experience problems, but I'm "NPO" until I have a good full bowel movement, which I haven't been able have yet, I guess because the anesthesia affects the ability to do that for a few days. If I still experience problems after eating it wasn't clear that they know what the next steps for treatment would be.

I am so sorry you are having all of these problems. I hope the surgery they did fixes things and you are able to gain some weight. Just take it one day at a time and take care of yourself.

Keep us posted. I hope Dr. Ganga is also keep an eye on your labs. I sincerely hope you get better. Is there a friend or family member who could keep us posted if you can’t? If not, I will be glad to do that. I think others here would as well. I truly worried about your continual weight loss as low as you were going. And get well.
Last week: 177.7
This week: 174.6

I started doing IF (14:10 usually) 4 weeks ago and been adapting to it and a more rigorous eating schedule. It all seems to be kicking in finally. I’m trying to lose 20 pounds of regain to get back to my happy zone.
Good luck. I don’t do IF. It’s hard enough to get enough protein in, for me, just in normal eating hours.

Good luck. I don’t do IF. It’s hard enough to get enough protein in, for me, just in normal eating hours.

I get that! I posted a large whine about it over the weekend on the FB TDS group. What I AM finding is that the shortened time helps me to prioritize what MUST be eaten versus what I WANT to eat. My eating has gotten off track and when I had all the hours in the day to eat, I still didn't get my protein in the way I should. I'd eat whatever sounded good and "try" to eat more protein. By building myself a schedule and giving that schedule hours in the day, it helped me to get my priorities straight. I may not do IF forever, or even in 3 weeks, but I felt I needed something a little more concrete.

Losing weight is as much a mental thing as a physical one and I'd lost touch with what hunger was and even what restriction felt that. I needed to have those whack-me-upside-the-head moments and get my thinking straight. I am a proponent of IF for me right now, not "IF for all" :)

Keep us posted. I hope Dr. Ganga is also keep an eye on your labs. I sincerely hope you get better. Is there a friend or family member who could keep us posted if you can’t? If not, I will be glad to do that. I think others here would as well. I truly worried about your continual weight loss as low as you were going. And get well.

Dr. Ganta has been really good through this ordeal, has visited multiple times and answered questions and demonstrated concern and knowledge, so I really can't complain there. My labs have been checked everyday and supplements have been added as my vitamin/mineral/electrolyte levels have been decreasing day by day since I've only been on an IV and 'nothing by mouth'.

In any event I'm recovering, still at the hospital at this moment, but hope to be released today. My bowels and urinary tract seem to be working again, and I can 'go' and the catheter was removed (thank god). Since I've been on a dextrose solution IV I've gone off keto for now and ate plenty off the 'bariatric full liquid' menu which is what the doctor prescribed for now. I decided to also try some solid food which was not prescription and tolerated it just fine, as I expected I would, so it seems the surgery was a success, at least so far. They didn't have to cut into my intestines, just 'untangled' and reaffixed them and fixed some scar tissue apparently.

I'll update again soon. Thanks for all the concern!

Remingtonh Im glad to hear you are on the upswing. Now, low carb but not severe low carb. You want to get back to 135, doctor’s orders.

Yeah I agree - I don't think keto is really the right way to go for me. I liked the 'mental clarity' aspect of it (which I might be overestimating) as well as the lack of hunger (which isn't a good thing after all, apparently). The downside is all this keto stuff - blood ketone monitor, test strips, keto flours and sweeteners and other things - that I've already purchased. Oh well...

Latest posts

Back