Sunday Weigh In (5/10/2020)

178 for me (BMI~26)

1 year out from the DS, 2 years out from the VSG

Recently, I've been adding a lot of whole grains, beans, berries, nuts and seeds, e.g. steel cut oats, instead of yogurt, with walnuts and raisins for breakfast,lots of beans for lunch and diner, not all plain, e.g. Moroccan stew and Cassoulet. The goal was to up fiber to more than 30 grams a day. I still get in 90 gm of protein

Had to do it, I was chained to the toilet on the pure meat,protein shake and vegetable diet TMI, I know ... when I started eating this way, around March, I was weighing in the 185 to 190 range. These days I often drop below 180.

I was worried about the carbs, but so far no major gain, maybe it's the high fiber, at least that's what guys like Greger say. Re carbs.. I don't do processed carbs (cookies, ice cream or cake), nor do I do the pure white refined carbs ( sugar, rice, wonder bread). Compared to the above, beans and grains seem positively virtuous

Still early for me.. so I keep track with the scale

178 for me (BMI~26)

1 year out from the DS, 2 years out from the VSG

Recently, I've been adding a lot of whole grains, beans, berries, nuts and seeds, e.g. steel cut oats, instead of yogurt, with walnuts and raisins for breakfast,lots of beans for lunch and diner, not all plain, e.g. Moroccan stew and Cassoulet. The goal was to up fiber to more than 30 grams a day. I still get in 90 gm of protein

Had to do it, I was chained to the toilet on the pure meat,protein shake and vegetable diet TMI, I know ... when I started eating this way, around March, I was weighing in the 185 to 190 range. These days I often drop below 180.

I was worried about the carbs, but so far no major gain, maybe it's the high fiber, at least that's what guys like Greger say. Re carbs.. I don't do processed carbs (cookies, ice cream or cake), nor do I do the pure white refined carbs ( sugar, rice, wonder bread). Compared to the above, beans and grains seem positively virtuous

Still early for me.. so I keep track with the scale
Good for you. Remember as you age into your DS, things change. I would add the yogurt back in for its probiotic affect. I’d also watch your protein lab number and if it’s below 7, up your protein intake.

Thanks

Re yogurt and probiotics... some call fiber a prebiotic.. the idea is give the good bacteria something to eat and they will flourish on it

Re protein... thanks again for the tip.. last measure was above 7 g/dl.. lab notes say the good range is 6.4 to 8.3
I realize what the lab range is but keeping at 7 or above gives you a bit of cushion.

Latest posts

Back