Sunday Weigh In (3/14/2021) Happy Pi Day

Last Week: 157.6
This week: 155.8
Doing good
Last week: 272.5
This week: 269
9 days till surgery.
Now, after surgery, stay off the scale til your first post op appt with your surgeon. Then only weigh ONCE a week to post here. Same day, same time, I do mine after a potty trip, and completely nude on Sunday morning.

So I have been keeping very good, accurate and detailed track of my calories consumed and weight-loss since I started my diet on Jan 18.

Looking forward to the end of the weight-loss phase, in a week or two, and moving to maintenance, I realized that the BMR/TDEE calculators likely will not work correctly since supposedly we DS patients 'malabsorb' calories. Since I have this data I thought I'd attempt some quick and dirty math and see if I can shed some light on my calorie absorption.

I've lost, per myfitnesspal, 28 pounds. I subtracted a substantial loss of about 3 pounds during the first 4 days or so to try to account for water weight loss, so I did my math based on losing only 25 pounds.

I dividing that 25 pounds of weight loss by 55 days (about how long I've been on the diet) and then multiply by 3500 and subtracting my TDEE per calculators (conservatively using the sedentary calculation) and I'm figuring that I'm 'processing' about 55% of the calories I'm consuming.

Of course, there could be things I'm not or can't account for like muscle loss vs. fat loss, etc., and I'm relying on the accuracy of the BMR/TDEE calculators, but aside from that the math seems to work and the results are what would seem to be expected.

Any thoughts, or has anyone else tried anything like this before?

edit: my diet has been very low fat, 10-15g per day if that, only incidental simple sugars/carbs, and until very recently, complex carbs greater than protein (roasted/steamed veggie-heavy diet no oil).

Last edited:
So I have been keeping very good, accurate and detailed track of my calories consumed and weight-loss since I started my diet on Jan 18.

Looking forward to the end of the weight-loss phase, in a week or two, and moving to maintenance, I realized that the BMR/TDEE calculators likely will not work correctly since supposedly we DS patients 'malabsorb' calories. Since I have this data I thought I'd attempt some quick and dirty math and see if I can shed some light on my calorie absorption.

I've lost, per myfitnesspal, 28 pounds. I subtracted a substantial loss of about 3 pounds during the first 4 days or so to try to account for water weight loss, so I did my math based on losing only 25 pounds.

I dividing that 25 pounds of weight loss by 55 days (about how long I've been on the diet) and then multiply by 3500 and subtracting my TDEE per calculators (conservatively using the sedentary calculation) and I'm figuring that I'm 'processing' about 55% of the calories I'm consuming.

Of course, there could be things I'm not or can't account for like muscle loss vs. fat loss, etc., and I'm relying on the accuracy of the BMR/TDEE calculators, but aside from that the math seems to work and the results are what would seem to be expected.

Any thoughts, or has anyone else tried anything like this before?

edit: my diet has been very low fat, 10-15g per day if that, only incidental simple sugars/carbs, and until very recently, complex carbs greater than protein (roasted/steamed veggie-heavy diet no oil).
I’m not that detailed. During my weight loss phase, as long as the tape measure moved and the scale went down, I was a happy camper.
Now, I just get concerned if I go above a certain point on the scale.

Latest posts

Back