Sunday Weigh In (2/28/2021)

You know what?! I am remembering something that actually made me sick. I ate Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom bunny trax ice cream not knowing it had sugar alcohols. I thought it was a cute special edition name for ice cream. I was just looking for the tiny peanut butter filled chocolate bunnies! Was I wrong!

It has sorbitol, maltitol, sucralose and those are just the ones I can remember! They really hurt and I thought I had some kind of bowel obstruction or something. I was hot, cold, nauseated, and in terrible pain. It really made me regret my existence. Now I am more careful with these specific sugar alcohols. Maybe as time goes on I can handle it but right now I avoid it. Many people have issues with sugar alcohols but sometimes DSrs have it magnified!

You know what?! I am remembering something that actually made me sick. I ate Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom bunny trax ice cream not knowing it had sugar alcohols. I thought it was a cute special edition name for ice cream. I was just looking for the tiny peanut butter filled chocolate bunnies! Was I wrong!

It has sorbitol, maltitol, sucralose and those are just the ones I can remember! They really hurt and I thought I had some kind of bowel obstruction or something. I was hot, cold, nauseated, and in terrible pain. It really made me regret my existence. Now I am more careful with these specific sugar alcohols. Maybe as time goes on I can handle it but right now I avoid it. Many people have issues with sugar alcohols but sometimes DSrs have it magnified!
So does this apply to sweets too? I don't want to sound like I want to eat bad food before I ever even have surgery, but will a piece of pie or dessert every now and then make me sick or will I be fine as long as I don't eat the whole pie?

So does this apply to sweets too? I don't want to sound like I want to eat bad food before I ever even have surgery, but will a piece of pie or dessert every now and then make me sick or will I be fine as long as I don't eat the whole pie?
Remember, many sweets are carbs and fat mixed. And carbs can easily cause bloat and gas. We typically do not get sick in the way you are thinking, although bloat and gas may have you wishing to die. But each person is different. What bothers one person may not bother others. And things change over time with you. Example, coffee bothers me now, but for the first 7-8 years, I felt like I couldn’t live without it. Corn based products, like cornbread, hush puppie, etc bothered me for many years, now I can manage them. Milk, regular cow’s whole milk from the store has been off the table since day 1. But let me have access to raw milk, unpasteurized, that I can easily drink an 8 oz glass with no issues.

Last edited:
Okay. I think things are coming into focus... Finally. For some foods like dairy and sweets everyone is different. One person may be able to eat a sandwich with bread and another may get gas and bloating from it. The same person may be able to eat a small bowl of ice cream while it makes the person who can eat a sandwich gets sick from the ice cream. Am I finally getting it?

Thank you. I feel like I am finally understanding better. It was pretty confusing since some things bother some, but not others so it seemed like everything was contradicting what I thought. Just when I thought I understood I would read something that was different. I think I have a good understanding finally.

It just occurred to me, and I literally laughed out loud. This sounds an awful lot like being pregnant. Some foods may make you not feel good. Some foods you used to like won't taste good while you will suddenly like foods you never really cared for and after a few months that may change again. Yep sounds like pregnancy, only you lose weight not gain it.

Thank you. I feel like I am finally understanding better. It was pretty confusing since some things bother some, but not others so it seemed like everything was contradicting what I thought. Just when I thought I understood I would read something that was different. I think I have a good understanding finally.
The easiest way to understand is that what you read from one person is not a universal experience across the board. There is an abbreviation that applies to all this: YMMV short for Your Milage May Vary.

Okay. I think things are coming into focus... Finally. For some foods like dairy and sweets everyone is different. One person may be able to eat a sandwich with bread and another may get gas and bloating from it. The same person may be able to eat a small bowl of ice cream while it makes the person who can eat a sandwich gets sick from the ice cream. Am I finally getting it?

To be clear I was sick from specific sugar alcohols and not specifically ice cream. Ice cream is just fine. Also what do you mean by the word sick? Do you mean vomiting? Or the dumping that those with a gastric bypass get? Has anyone said they vomit from carbs and sugars in your findings? I’m just curious.

It just occurred to me, and I literally laughed out loud. This sounds an awful lot like being pregnant. Some foods may make you not feel good. Some foods you used to like won't taste good while you will suddenly like foods you never really cared for and after a few months that may change again. Yep sounds like pregnancy, only you lose weight not gain it.

I find it similar too! I also crave meat when I need more protein just like I did when pregnant. You have to drink water all the time and I had to keep eating every couple hours all day because I had gestational diabetes. And we have to drink a lot of water and eat frequently too.

To be clear I was sick from specific sugar alcohols and not specifically ice cream. Ice cream is just fine. Also what do you mean by the word sick? Do you mean vomiting? Or the dumping that those with a gastric bypass get? Has anyone said they vomit from carbs and sugars in your findings? I’m just curious.
I have not heard of vomiting, just bloating, gas, and Diarrhea. I had certain foods give me Diarrhea when I had my gall bladder out. It got better over time now it hardly ever happens. I'm guessing it is like that. When I say Diarrhea I mean that oh my I need a bathroom NOW! If there was not one or we were driving it would result in cramps sweats and fear of blowing out the back door. Not fun. I learned what triggered it and avoided them when I was out. Like frappachinos. We started to call them crappachinos. But I love them so much!!! I would just make sure I was done shopping or whatever for the day and take it home in case there was an issue.

I have not heard of vomiting, just bloating, gas, and Diarrhea. I had certain foods give me Diarrhea when I had my gall bladder out. It got better over time now it hardly ever happens. I'm guessing it is like that. When I say Diarrhea I mean that oh my I need a bathroom NOW! If there was not one or we were driving it would result in cramps sweats and fear of blowing out the back door. Not fun. I learned what triggered it and avoided them when I was out. Like frappachinos. We started to call them crappachinos. But I love them so much!!! I would just make sure I was done shopping or whatever for the day and take it home in case there was an issue.
Bloat, gas: you are just gonna have to find out from experience which one makes that happen. The one that made me feel like I was gonna die from bloat, gas was milk. I can’t drink store bought milk. I can, however, drink raw milk. So my theory is, I’m not lactose intolerant but pasteurized intolerant. common triggers are dairy, carbs, someone discovered her trigger was onions.

The first weeks, it was liquid in, liquid out. Once I got on solid foods and taking all my vitamins that that went away.

As for your diarrhea after the gall bladder removal, you were probably told to avoid fat. But avoiding fat is not recommended after the DS but you do kinda have to sneak up on it. https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/fats-are-not-the-enemy.3185/

Latest posts

Back