successful revision

Hello I want to know of any successful revision from gastric bypass to DS. I had gastric bypass in 2006 at 321lbs I'm back up to 315lbs.

How do you define success?

I'm a RNY to DS revision myself. I consider the decision to be one of the best decisions I've ever made. I feel like a success...which is good enough for me. Quite a few of us out there are RNY to DS revisions.

However this is a major life change and it requires diligence for life. Supplementation, lab work, the balls to be your own patient advocate in the face of the medical community who might not have experience dealing with a DSer. It's all super important, but it's very worth it if you make that commitment to yourself. Like Munchkin said, it requires a revision surgeon because this is the most hardcore of revision surgeries. There are only a handful doing it, so you might have to travel depending on where you live.

It's a very complicated surgery that requires a skilled surgeon. I believe Dr. Elariny (northern Virginia) does RNY to DS revisions.

Last I knew, Dr. Sudan did not do RNY to DS revisions, though he does do lap banad to DS revisions. Your closest would be Dr. Elariny ( I think he does them, not certain) or Dr. Greenbaum in NJ, who does them selectively. Another option would be Dr. Mitchell Roslin in NYC.

There are only a few DS surgeons who do this very complex type of revision, so get ready to travel. In the right hands it definitely can be done.

Personally, I would travel to CA to see Rabkin or Keshishian. This is a BIG surgery, and requires an EXPERT DS revision surgeon. Most surgeons will try to talk you into an ERNY instead, and that would be the WORST of both the RNY and DS surgeries.

Don't be afraid to travel. A lot of us had to travel to get a virgin DS. I drove 3.5 hours south for every appointment (over 12 in all) and then my husband took two weeks off work to stay with me first in hospital, and then later to help me at home. The road trip was long, and each time it got longer. So I found quilt shops and yarn shops on the way to break up the monotony. We also found one of our all-time favorite antique malls where I got my flow blue dishes we are now eating from.

Listen to the vets here. They are the only ones who will tell you the straight scoop on the surgeon you are going to.

So get ready to travel. In the meantime, read up on everything DS. And the best of luck to you.

Latest posts

Back